Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Spooked a Buck....Now What?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spooked a Buck....Now What?

So, I was out in a tower blind today and the deer were moving like crazy. Lots of trailing, some chasing, and a decent amount of bucks. Long story short, a buck comes out of a field that is out of view to me right as I turn that way. He stops, looks for a minute or so, wheezes and runs in the opposite direction. This is a REALLY nice buck, definitely scoring over 150, probably closer to mid-160s. I tried giving a couple grunts as he was running, but he never stopped. He came out of the field about 100 yards away from me and ran over a hill approximately 300-350 yards away. He never winded me, but he saw my initial movement, stopped, checked it out and ran/wheezed.

What should I do now? I have another tower blind over near where he ran. However, the spot I have been in has tons of activity usually. So far this last month I have hunted there about 20-25 times and have seen at least 5 deer during a hunt and up to about 20 deer. I haven't hunted the other stand yet, but don't know what to do and shotgun season starts this Friday, which I will be hunting the same area.

Any advice?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spooked a Buck....Now What?

I might be me, but hunting the same stand 25 days out of 30 seems to be a little excessive. If you have another stand, you might give that one a rest.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM

he's right your hunting it a little to hard, mix it up some & move around. good hunting.....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah i would rotate your stands. I always rotate my stands, i have spooked plenty of good deer before and I usually make a rotation and give the spot i messed up on a weeks rest MINIMUM. I have gotten lucky on rotating positions too, sometimes using a climber. It catches them off guard. If you hunt one stand to much they will start to pick up on it. Give them the switch and they may never see it coming. I never hunt a stand more then two times in a row or three times in a week.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to, you shouldn't have to worry about it not coming back eventually.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you have a stand where the buck ran to, I would set-up there. He obviously finds security there or he wouldn't have ran that way.

Try it and see what happens ... let us know how it goes!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I do agree that I have hunted this stand a little too much. However, I never went to a different stand because the amount of deer sightings never really dropped down.

I think I am going to try to sit in the spot near where the buck ran. Do most of you feel that if he ran that way it is sort of a safe haven for him? Or did he just run that way because it was NOT in my direction?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes they run back the direction they came from, because the wind was in his nose, leading him to safety, because that was where the Master Bedroom is ... whatever it was, the Bruiser felt safe and secure.

I noticed you mentioned, "tower blind"... it could be that your tower blind may just be in the right place, and your scent isn't getting to the deer, because of the "tower!"

I would mix it up a little bit, if you want to hunt the same "tower blind" try walking to it from a different direction so that bruiser doesn't "pattern you!"

You haven't mentioned if you have seen that same buck before ... have you?

ORIGINAL: Vogt_51

I do agree that I have hunted this stand a little too much. However, I never went to a different stand because the amount of deer sightings never really dropped down.

I think I am going to try to sit in the spot near where the buck ran. Do most of you feel that if he ran that way it is sort of a safe haven for him? Or did he just run that way because it was NOT in my direction?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't get a real great look at him except when he was running......However, I do think that is a deer I have seen twice. If it is, I am gonna be a little[:'(].

If it is the bruiser I saw before, I only got a quick look before in the late afternoon as he was entering the field, just where I saw him this time, except he was leaving the field when I spooked him. This was about 2 weeks ago. I then saw him again, a few days ago about 125 yards away at the back of an old field somewhat near where I saw him before. The reason I will be [:'(] if it is that deer is because when I had a better look at him I put him closer to 170 inches and the biggest deer I have ever seen in person. I really don't think the pic of my deer in the avatar is flattering as that deer had G2's of 14 inches and 12 inches. As an 8-point it scored near 150. This deer was EASILY bigger.

I am hoping I can meet up with him in about 6-7 hours......
Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Heck, if you hunted there that much there already, dont stop now. This time of year he may be gone for ever tomorrow! Is he not "your deer"(pics all summer, you saw him grow up), he may get her and be gone faster than he came.

Quick Reply: Spooked a Buck....Now What?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.