Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Old 11-19-2008, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

if its brown its comin down.......... i don need tags because i got my own land so i cant gripe about much
Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Full Blown Rut

if its brown its comin down.......... i don need tags because i got my own land so i cant gripe about much
What do you mean you don't need tags? Don't landowners (basically larger tracts of land) need tags of some sort still?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Full Blown Rut, I hope you dont live in WI because you definitely still need tags. I hunt on private land trust me everyone needs tags. Everybody who is claiming earn-a-buck is such a great idea and they wish there state would do it better hope there dnrs have more common sense and desire to listen the paying license buyers than the WI dnr! Like I said in my other post WI EAB has been taken too far with almost 3 quarters of the state under EAB for four of the last five years and basically the entire state onan EAB "watch list" for next year. If you love seeing traditions destroyed, andthousands of people not buying licenses anymore because they do not see a single deer over the entire gun season than buy all means write your dnr and request EAB regulations.

I would be fine with just the octoberand december does only seasons that currently exist, but according to our dnr that isn't enough. I dont understand what their goal is, herd control is one thing. Herd destruction is another.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish Michigan would follow suit!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

I would be fine with just the octoberand december does only seasons that currently exist, but according to our dnr that isn't enough. I dont understand what their goal is, herd control is one thing. Herd destruction is another.
Do you honestly believe the WI DNR's goal is herd destruction? Or are you just upset because you disagree with either their goal for the herd size or their assessment of the herd size?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dunno how it is in Wisconsin, but in Illinois lots of people have gotten spoiled because of the large deer herd size. 30 years ago, someone had to put in a lot of time and effort just to fill their tag. Now it can be done pretty easy, including nice bucks. Any signficant reduction in herd size is obviously gonna seem like a horrible decimation of the herd to some folks who can only relate to the recent high numbers, whereas to others even a considerable reduction would not be a big deal.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i feel bad for the peop lhwho have to use earn a buck
Old 11-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

i feel bad for the peop lhwho have to use earn a buck
Dont feel bad for all of us, Where i hunt we need to shoot the does, plain and simple, but because of the big buck potential no one was. Well shooting the doe's is making the bucks that much better. When you have an average of over 100 deer per square mile its okay to make people shoot does.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: dvalliere

ORIGINAL: teedub31

I think doe management is crucial for good herd health. However, the herd is a state problem, not mine.
Wow, that's selfish! I've got a dozen things running through my mind why that's a horrible mentality for a hunter to have I'll just bite my tongue for the moment!
You better hope the state keeps relying on you as they could go a different rout all together and cut out hunting completely. If North Carolina said that we could only kill does next year, I would be out there in full force having a great time. I would be out there because I am a hunter not a(Big Buck Grower)!!!! Give me a break if people would just hunt and quit trying to grow big bucks in pens, the antis would leave us alone.

Sorry to vent, Jeremy
Old 11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Fee schedule in Indiana Resident
General Hunting License $20.00
Firearm License $24.00
Archery License $24.00
Bonus Archery $24.00
State Park Herd Reduction License $24.00
1st Antlerless $24.00
2nd+ Antlerless $15.00
Muzzleloader License $24.00
All Turkey License $25.00

Non Resident
Hunting License $80 (required for deer and turkey)
Firearm tag $150
Antless tag $24.00
Achery tag $150
Muzzleloader tag $150
Turkey Tag $140

This is why non of my out of state family come here to hunt. We always go there since it is some much cheaper

We have 1 CO that covers400 sq mile and is relocated to high density areas in other parts of the state during firearm season, so he aint stopping poachers. In 25 years of hunting my county, no one in my family or extended hunting party has ever been stopped to so much as check on our license. The state has a 400 acre FW area in our county, but has basically cut off all funding to it for general up keep of even basic parking facilities (ie best have a 4WD to get in and out of parking area. All of the DNR money goes to the lakes and sate parks (which are no where near my home). I would just expect a good portion of the money you spend to be spent in the county of purchase and to have the CO active in that county.

I need to reiterate my disclaimer. I am not so much against Earn a Buck as I am agaist paying for doe tags. If the State wants them harvested, give an incentive and not charge a fee.

I will also inform you that because the State spends little to no money in are area and raised license fees by over 100% in recent years, I opted to buy a lifetime license (prior to the end of that program). I will never buy another license in my life to hunt in Indiana. I was 28 when I made that purchase. Best $500 I ever spent. I just want everyone to know that my grip is not the cost to me personally, but the cost to a new hunter, kids in college and families that don't have the greatest paying jobs in the world and having the means to harvest a doe cheaply would serve them more then anything else.

Quick Reply: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.