Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Griping about Earn-a-Buck

I keep hearing people claim that hunting is great because it manages the deer population. But that's really only true to the extent that the does are harvested. It only takes a few bucks to breed all the does over a couple months.

At the same time, I hear people griping about Wisconsin using "Earn-a-buck" to enforce herd control. (You have to tag an antlerless deer prior to an antlered deer. If you tagged an antlerless the year before, that counts.)

Does this seem contradictory to anyone else? It seems to me that if hunters were genuine about herd control, they'd be willing to tag a few does.

(For the record, I've taken about an equal number of bucks and does so far in my hunting career.)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

The emphasis on QAM (quality antler management) versus QDM started a long time ago. When it reaches the point where someone deems their days hunt or entire season as pretty much a failure because they only shot a doe, then you are gonna have problems.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Well, let me put my two cents in. I think doe management is crucial for good herd health. However, the herd is a state problem, not mine. The state relies on me to do their work of herd management, but requires me to buy a doe license at the same cost as a buck license. In other words they want me to pay them so that I can do their work for them. The sale of extra doe tags are nothing more then a revenue generator for any state. If they want them gone/managed, the state should issue does tags free.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: teedub31

I think doe management is crucial for good herd health. However, the herd is a state problem, not mine.
Wow, that's selfish! I've got a dozen things running through my mind why that's a horrible mentality for a hunter to have I'll just bite my tongue for the moment!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dunno that i see it as selfish, just a bit unrealistic considering that much of the hunting ground in many areas is held by private land owners or it is leased operations. So, there are limits on what the state can do about management without individuals putting in some effort too.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

The definition of selfish is "concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others." That's exactly what teedub31 demonstrated. He agreed that doe management is important and needs to be properly handled but wasn't willing to be part of the solution.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your dictionary is different than my Webster. Actually being selfishgenerally entails being "excessively" or "exclusively" occupied with one's own interest. Dunno if it is excessive or exclusive self-interest to believe that herd management is the state's responsibility. But it is a bit unrealistic.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Spike

I was just telling my dad and brother-in-law yesterday that I wish Ohio would implement an "earn a buck" program. We got on the subject while we were complaining about the lack of rut activity we have seen in the last couple of weeks. We have way too many does in the area at least. Of the 20 plus times I have been in a tree this season, I have seen two spikes, a 4 pointer, a 6 pointer, a small 8 pointer and one large 8 and a large 10. The large 8 and 10 were last night within 10 minutes of each other. I have seen close to 60 different does in this time. I'm sure it's no where near sicentific, but I'm at close to a 10 to 1 ratio. That stinks! I'm sure the bucks in the area aren't even fighting over the does. Shoot, why would they?
If you think about it. You take one doe out of the herd and over the next 4 or 5 years you have taken several deer out. (1 year old doe = 1 fawn first year. fawn has 1 and 2 year old momma has twins. next year, momma has twins and her first has twins.... I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. ) One doe takes out several deer. One buck takes out one. Another buck will step in and breed the does.
Btw, I have two does in the freezer. I'll continue to fill doe tags until my freezer is full and my future inlaws freezer is full. If a buck comes by, good. If not, there is next year.
Go shoot a doe!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't seem to understand that some folks are not that interested in shooting, dragging out, butchering, wrapping, and eating does. They just want to hang a big rack on the wall. Hard to deal with a mindset like that.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

Earn a buck is a good thing. This year the three counties i hunt in went to an EAB system. Its an effort to lower the population, especially the doe's!! In my area i think its the responsibility of all the hunters to try and assit the state with this. Granted i dont have to buy doe tags as it was said before $18 licensce gets me three antlerless only and 3 either sex tags. and as a landowner I can shoot more doe's without tags and check them in as a landowner. On my property alone we shoot a lot of does and let young bucks walk and it has payed off, we have a healther herd and bigger bucks.

Quick Reply: Griping about Earn-a-Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.