Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Off-Season Observation on Tree Stands >

Off-Season Observation on Tree Stands

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Off-Season Observation on Tree Stands

Old 01-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Off-Season Observation on Tree Stands

Notice a lot of tree stands have no back support, when sitting with your back to the tree. Only the tree !!!

I got use to the support I have on my tree stand, and would probably avoid any without back support.
Does the quality of the stand you use, offset the lack of any cushy back support?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got a couple stands years back that didn't have any back rests and we still use them but two years ago I bought one that had a back cushion and I prefer to use that one. Plus the seat is way more comfortable. Instead of having a steel seat with a cushion on it its one of those that hangs down without any steal underneath it. Its way more comfortable with the back rest.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can take a piece of plywood about 10 inches wide and 14 inches long, put one of those thin seat cushions on it, tie it on, and after you get in the stand wrap a cord around the tree to hold it where you need for back support.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Spike

I bought a couple this year that had arm rests and shooting rails, but no back support. The stand seems nice, and the tree trunk seems to work well for back support, but I did notice that my suit will make noise rubbing on the bark of the tree. One tree causes a lot more noise than the other. I didn't think about this happening when I bought them. I will either wrap a fleece blanket around the tree next season, or bungee a piece of foam around the trunk.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default That's it -Do it yourself improvement

timbercruiser, that's a good idea. Using plywood. Hadn't thought of that. I knew if I needed replacements for the present stand, I'd have the daughter use her new hobby of machine sewing and make a zippered cloth bag to hold some foam. Just like the old way. The plywood would provide support on the tree. A couple of year's ago, I bought new foam from a fabric center, for the cushions on the tree stand, and they were like brand new $450 tree stands.
I'll have to look into adequate sized bungee cords to hold the cushion to the tree with the plywood.
Personally, I've been in tree stands, more than four hours, so back comfort became important to me

Speaking of shooting rails. I use one during rifle hunting season, and my original shooting rail had a familiar foam around the metal rail. It was the foam used by plumbers on hot pipes, to insulate them. Intsead the same foam is used to cover the treestand rails and make them soft for arm contact. Since my rail was open at the ends, I merely slipped on a new foam cylinder used to insulate hot pipes. The cost is minimal using these very common pipe covers.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to be comfortable so I like my summit. If I use a different one I have a cushion that straps to the tree. Being comfortable means less movement which means more deer sightings.