Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backstrap vs tenderloin

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Backstrap vs tenderloin

Can anyone tell me the difference. I have always called the backstrap the tender meat located along the spine that can only be accessed from inside the rib cage. Even on a huge deer, this piece of meat is not much bigger then a silver dollar and is about 12-15 inches long. I have always called the tenderloin the large log style of meat that runs the spine that is accessable from the outside. What I call "backstrap" is without a doubt the best piece of meat you will ever eat, however I am told that processors will never take the time to cut out this small delicatesin (or they keep it for themselves).

Anyhow, I was in a hurry when I killed my last buck and never got the "backstrap" out. It was hot out so I dropped it off as soon as I checked it in. Processor asked how I wanted by backstrap processed. I looked at him strangely and said "Whole". He said are you sure cause it is gonna be pretty big. I said yes. Needless to say I got 2 freaking huge LOINS and never did get the "backstrap" as I call it.

Any comments??
Old 11-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backstrap vs tenderloin

Back straps are just that, on the back on either side of the spineand are about 18 to 24 inches long, maybe longer. Tender loins are on the inside of the deer's spineand are about 8 to 12 inches long.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

what V8 said.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

teedub31,
You have them reversed

Ever look at a porterhouse or t-bone steak? The smaller section is the tenderloin (filet mignon) the larger section is the backstrap (NY strip)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 PM

yep... the backstraps are along the spine on the deer's back. The tenderloins aka. Fish's are located along the spine on the inside of the deer. about ten inches long depending on the size of the deer.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

It is obvious that the whole backstrap/tenderloin is a term used indiscriminately and interchanged by some. The previous 2 processors I usedalways called the large rolls along the outer back tenderloins (just like the hog tenderloins you get at the store). But just this weekend I helped a buddy get his "backstraps" out of a doe. He did not even know of this cut and had always called the big logs on the back "backstraps". Lack of clarity can cause confussion.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Tenderloins are the yummy stuff among the guts!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I'll concur that I have them backwards, but why is it that processors (at least where I am from, east central Indiana) never give you the tenderloin (Fish) from the inside. If you want them, you best cut them out be4 dropping off.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Spike

Generally I would say remove the tenderloins yourself...they are simple to get out...just slide your hand behind and cut off the two ends. I know a lot of people who remove the tenderloins while still in the field.

Why your butcher is not giving them to you? He is probably saving them for himselfif you are not smart enough to remove them ;-)
Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

You want to be technical then calling the back loins backstraps is incorrect. Not trying to be smart just speaking from experience. Asked a buthcer to remove the back straps seperate. He gave me a small pack with some stringy stuff in it. Turns out the 'backstraps" are actually the ligament whihc runs from the hind leg up to the back. Nothing to do with meat at all. We had a good laugh and he explained that I was referring to back loins and tenderloins. He always wondered why hunters talked about loving the "backstraps".

Quick Reply: Backstrap vs tenderloin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.