Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 has this ever happened to you? >

has this ever happened to you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

has this ever happened to you?

Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Default has this ever happened to you?

i was out opening day, the weather was terrible rain and fog all morning. i took lucnh and went out to another spot, about an hour later a buck comes running behind me and stops 25 yards to the side of me. i raise my gun put my sights on it and go to pull the trigger but it was jammed. as i was trying to fix the problem the deer realized i was there and ran off i was pissed that could have been my first deer.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Spike

Default RE: has this ever happened to you?

I was hunting with a Remington Model 7400 .270 cal autoloader a couple years ago when I heard water splashing at the creek I looked and watched 2 fork bucks cross and run up the trail right towards me. I shot and dropped the first one and the gun jammed. The 2nd buck was confused and standing there but I was able to clear the jam and drop him before he bolted. I dont own that gun anymore.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I don't understand how it jammed. When I get in the stand or wherever I am setting I load my gun and put the safety on. Unless it wasn't cared for before that day I can't think of anything that could make it jam. You should have at least had one shot.

What kind of gun?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I had a problem while turkey hunting, not the same as yours but similiar. My buddy and I were turkey hunting and we called up 4 Toms. We went for the double kill. He knocked one down and I went to pull the trigger and nothing happened. Well the rest ran off we collected his bird and I checked the shell which I tried to kill the turkey with and it was marked by my firing pin. So I put it back in the gun and it fired just like a normal shell. It just wasnt that turkeys day to die. Must have been devine intervention not to kill that bird that day...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Haven't had a jam yet. I did hunt this weekend and while unloading the Rem. 870. Realized I had not chambered a round. Thank God I didn't have a shot that day. I would have been soooo upset.