Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

ORIGINAL: Whootsinator

Hello to all, in the merry land of firearms. If I had one wish it would be a giant personal armory filled with weapons and to have nothing in the world to do but cherish them in every way possible. Unfortunatly, firearms are expensive... very... expensive.
I've loved firearms all of my short life (I'm only fourteen, but I consider myself a bit more... intelligent... than the average fourteen-year-old), and generally understand them, but I'm not very in tune with the current market. Actually, I'm not in tune to any market other than the Soviet Mosin-Nagant market, of which I am a connoisseur.

Now that my introduction is finished, I present to you my problem:

I live in semi-rural Kentucky, prime deer hunting land, and I am on a VERY tight budget. I won't say the specifics, but it is very tight. All of my life I've borrowed firearms from family or friends of family, be it a bolt action 12 gauge deer rifle or a .300 WinMag. I hate borrowing things... anything, really. A pencil from a classmate, money from friends, or a rifle from family. I like being independant and self sufficient. It's about time I purchase my own rifle so I can stop pestering everyone else. What do you recommend, specifically? Recoil does not matter in the slightest, I will shoot anything. Take into account where I live, with many rolling hills and a mix of thick forest and open farm plots. Also take into account the cost of the cartridges. I am not opposed to muzzleloaders. Please do not reccomend youth-only rifles, unless it's just a wonderful rifle for the money. I honestly find them to be a little bit lighter and smaller than I prefer.

As a final thought, wish me luck, I'm heading into the woods tomorrow morning for that elusive buck!

Thank you in advance.
Ask one of the people you borrow a gun from, if they might consider selling the gun to you.
Maybe they would let you make payments, and even sell it to you very cheap.
Since you are a friend or family.
If you were a family member to me,
I would sell you one for a LOT less than you could get one for at a pawn shop.
And let you pay for it for as long as you needed.
And even let you work off the price in yard work, or something like that.
I got my first shot gun, by mowing my Uncles yard for a summer.

In 1970 he went and bought a brand new IverJohnson Champion, Single barrel 12 ga.
And I got it in time to hunt with.

Try it it might work.

Good Luck

jrbsr

Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 AM

You can look at the H&R line of rifles. You can get a single shot 30-06 or 270 for under 300 $. That is ofcourse you don't mind a single shot.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

ORIGINAL: Whootsinator

Hello to all, in the merry land of firearms. If I had one wish it would be a giant personal armory filled with weapons and to have nothing in the world to do but cherish them in every way possible. Unfortunatly, firearms are expensive... very... expensive.
I've loved firearms all of my short life (I'm only fourteen, but I consider myself a bit more... intelligent... than the average fourteen-year-old), and generally understand them, but I'm not very in tune with the current market. Actually, I'm not in tune to any market other than the Soviet Mosin-Nagant market, of which I am a connoisseur.

Now that my introduction is finished, I present to you my problem:

I live in semi-rural Kentucky, prime deer hunting land, and I am on a VERY tight budget. I won't say the specifics, but it is very tight. All of my life I've borrowed firearms from family or friends of family, be it a bolt action 12 gauge deer rifle or a .300 WinMag. I hate borrowing things... anything, really. A pencil from a classmate, money from friends, or a rifle from family. I like being independant and self sufficient. It's about time I purchase my own rifle so I can stop pestering everyone else. What do you recommend, specifically? Recoil does not matter in the slightest, I will shoot anything. Take into account where I live, with many rolling hills and a mix of thick forest and open farm plots. Also take into account the cost of the cartridges. I am not opposed to muzzleloaders. Please do not reccomend youth-only rifles, unless it's just a wonderful rifle for the money. I honestly find them to be a little bit lighter and smaller than I prefer.

As a final thought, wish me luck, I'm heading into the woods tomorrow morning for that elusive buck!

Thank you in advance.
Ask one of the people you borrow a gun from, if they might consider selling the gun to you.
Maybe they would let you make payments, and even sell it to you very cheap.
Since you are a friend or family.
If you were a family member to me,
I would sell you one for a LOT less than you could get one for at a pawn shop.
And let you pay for it for as long as you needed.
And even let you work off the price in yard work, or something like that.
I got my first shot gun, by mowing my Uncles yard for a summer.

In 1970 he went and bought a brand new IverJohnson Champion, Single barrel 12 ga.
And I got it in time to hunt with.

Try it it might work.

Good Luck

jrbsr
jrbsr, so uh whats up, you need some yard work done? I'm dead serious about that! I could always use a trail cam

Yeah go with what jrbsr said. It's the cheapest way you are going to get a weapon...
Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly, why not use one of the moisan-nagants that your are so fond of?

Sporterizing one is very simple and cheap. Soft point ammo can be had in 7.62x54R for the same price as .30-06 Springfield. There are two different scope configurations you can choose from (scout mount at rear windage ramp or drill and tap reciever and install Weaver base) and it's plenty gun to hunt any north american game.

I bet you could do all that for under $100. But, you could get lucky like me and find a weathered Savage 110 in 30-06 at a gun show for $200. Best deer rifle I've ever owned. Good luck in the woods today!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Take a look at the Marlin XL-7 rifles. You can get one in a .270, 30-06, and I think a .308for right at $300 brand new. I bought one in a .270 a few weeks ago and it will put 3 bullets under an inch at 100 yds. Plus its a bolt action just incase you need an extra shot and an adjustable trigger like the accu-trigger on a savage. After I bought the gun, scope, andrings I had right at $400 in the whole thing.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 PM

I've really been looking into the Savage 110. Conincidentally, that's the gun I borrowed today, in .243.It had a very smooth action and the owner had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. He got it new for around $250 at a shop.

I also just found out one of my neighbors has a connection to one of the better local shops. I think I'll ask him about it too.

mcraddock - I was thinking of doing that, but I'd definately want to inspect the rifle beforehand, and Mosins are hard to find in the area.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's face it the season is on the downward swing. I think if you wait you will begng to see deals at gun shows, shops etc. that make it affordable. Some people buy them and sell them in the same year. Also w/ the new slug guns you have the capability of 125+ yards shots w/ accuracy. That way you get 2 guns for large and small game/ Rifled slug barrels can be bought for a pump or semi shotgun just about any online site fairly inexpensive. Check your game laws for whta you can use of course. The Wolf in 50 caliber is a nice inexpensive package that can be scoped. I have one, have read positive reviews on them. But I own't say they are accurate much beyond 125 yards of 100 yards. Good Luck
Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

as others have said, i would look at the Savage package. For under $400 you get a great rifle that will last and has one of the best reputations for accuracy. I was in the same boat as you a few years back and bought one myself. It's now my go to rifle. right out of the box it was almost dead on. Shot a group of 3 within 1.6 inches at 100 yds. And i still think part of that was my fault. But even if it wasn't that is damn good.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Mossberg ATRisn't bad for the money, I've seen one shoot 1.25 moa out to 300yds. AVOID remington 710 and the new 770. Haven't seen the marlin yet. If you buy a package dealplan on replacing the scope next year.

And a big +1 on the savage if you have the extra $$$, it will shoot with the best of them for half the price. I have 17hmr and a savage ML that out shoot my A-Bolt, atleast up to 200 yds.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM

I've heard mixed opinions on the ATR... So many people that I talk to dislike it, that I'd rather not pay that much money and risk it. I'm going with the Savage so far.

With a week left in the season, I didn't have any hope of gettinga rifle for this year, I would just like to know what I want.

Quick Reply: Tight Budget Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.