Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tyler's first deer.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tyler's first deer.

Well, I took about 15 of my student to the fair last week and one of the mothers told me her son was interested in hunting. I told her I would be more then happy to take him since he was one of my most respectable youth. Well last night he spent the night with my wife and I and we spent an hour and a holf going over shot placement, ballistics, scent control, and firearms safety. I woke him up at 3:30 this morning for his first hunt ever. We left the house and took the hour and change ride to the hunting land. My favorite place to hunt is a one man 14' tripod so we were force to wrap the legs with camo burlap making a blindand sit under it. It was a slow morning and the weather was nasty as we watched the light fight to chase away the overcast sky. Shooting light came at 6:37 am and we saw nothing he did grat for the first hour but began to fidgit complaining of his butt going to sleep. I know the deer were moving late so I tried to keep his attention focused on looking for deer crossing the fire break about 8:00 the quite was interupted by rifles firing in the didtance and his excitment began to rise. Suddenly at 8:15 I looked to my left and over his shoulder as a spike walked out at 25 yards. I began tapping him on the shoulder saying "Deer, Deer, Deer" He acted like a pro he had been sitting there at ready with my Marlin 30-30 on a monopod, he swung the gun to the side and started to aim off hand. I turned to back him up with my 270 and accidentally bumped a tripod leg with my rifle with that heart sinking clank catching the deers attention. The little deer wasn't fst wnough though Tyler put the crosshairs on the shoulder and let him have it. The deer reered up on his hind legs and ran into the brush. I patted him on the back a few times and you could see the excitement beaming off his face we looked back forward and saw his deer dart into another firebreak and run 100 yards away and dart into the brush. Tyler jumped up to take off after him but I grabbed him and told him we didn't want to push the deer. We waited about 10 min and walked down the fire break to see if there was any blood, the deer was lecking like a stuck pig and the blood looked good so I felt good about the shot, but I told him we were going to back out and give him some more time because he had already traveled farther then he should have. we went back to the truck and unloaded our gear and then circled around head of woods he had ran into to see if he had made it out he wasn't to helpful looking for blood because he's color blind so it was up to me. I love tracking deer but didn't get to do much of it because we practically stepped on him on the otherside of the pines he jumped into. We then saw why the deer had ran off 200 yards after a 25 yard shot with a 30-30 and LR ammo. Tyler had pulled the shot and hit the broadside deer in the neck clipping the jugular vain. We were both proud I think I was a little more then he though. He was a 108# spike and a fine first deer for anyone.

This is Tyler he's 15 and he has hunted all of 2 hours his whole life.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tyler's first deer.

This is the wound no entrance no exit just a big hole in the throat.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

congrats!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats tp the both of you. It sounded like a fun time, nice deer too!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats to the kid. And big thanks to you for introducing him to hunting. Way to go.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Thats awesome he got his 1st deer. Great job Tyler. That wound is crazy.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome for the young man!
You must be a great guy too, kudos!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Spike

nice job getting him started young. he's on track to being a great sportsman
Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 PM

congrts, reminds me of my first deer

Quick Reply: Tyler's first deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.