Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Straight on shots

Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Straight on shots

I know its not the best possible shot and I'd prefer broadside shots, but does anyone here feel comfortable about shooting them as they walk straight in? And if so, where do you usually put the crosshairs? It's something I'm not sure about and I want to be prepared just in case.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Straight on shots

I have. I center the cross hairs on the chest cavity. usually you can see where the hair kinda "tufts" up, I go right above that. Most rifles that is a good shot. I wouldnt with a bow tho.
-Jake
Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have done it before

my feind passed up on a 12pt because he is scared to take that shot.

i was mad at him but oh well
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Have fun cleaning them
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

i have done it before

1shot,
Why would you be mad at someone for not taking a shot they are not comfortable with?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

i would take the shot if it was the only one that i was given, but cleaning the deer would suck bc you would probably destroy all of the guts and they would be a mess... i would prefer to take a broadside shot though
Old 11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I dont know about on a buck that I would be willing to mount, but the neck is a very very vital area on a whitetail, and its a farily large target as well. If you feel confident enough to shoot at the neck or the base of the neck you will floor a whitetail....

I put this in another post already, but last year I shot a doe with my 270 right above the base of the neck with a 130grain bullet and it about took her damn head off. She didnt even take a step...Quick and painless death... Best of all it saved all the meat on the animaland seperated the throat so i didnt have to reach up when gutting...
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

i have done it before

he said that he was comfortable with the shot, but he was scared he would mess up the mount

thats why i was mad...[:@][:@]

1shot,
Why would you be mad at someone for not taking a shot they are not comfortable with?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Circumstances make the call..

Ive taken them with my gun and bow. But the set up has to be perfect!!! I practice alot with both my rifle and my bow. With my bow i aim every season to be able to hit a half dollar size taget from 0 to 50 yards otherwise im not satisfied to hunt. with my rifle i aim to be able to hit the same size target out to 300 yards and make a group on it. but even being able to do that doesnt mean im going to take that shot. It has to be Perfect!!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Anything over a243 with a stout bullet will put them drt, better be a trophy though, itmakes for a "crappy" evening.If its just a doe wait for the next one to walk by.

Quick Reply: Straight on shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.