Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Loud Safety

Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Loud Safety

I use a Remington Model 700 in .270 Winchester, the only problem I have is the safety makes a pretty significant "click" when I take it off. Last year I shot a doe at about 60 yards, before I shot when I took the safety off she stopped dead in her tracks and looked directly at me. I just don't want it to be a nice buck I lose because of this. Any tips/ideas? Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Loud Safety

i have the same problem but it is a 20 gauge
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of just pushing the safety into position you could "hold" it into position. If you place your finger on top of the safety and guide it forward rather than push it and letting it get away from you, you can get it done without making any noise
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

My model 7 does the same thing, i just put my thumb on the back of the safety and my trigger finger in front of it and ease it off. the click you are hearing is the actual safety hitting metal when you flip it forward, so if you let it hit your finger instead it is silent.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Try to get a small amount of gun oil/ lube in there, then work the safety back and forth repeatedly. I have done this a with couple of button style safeties and it seems to take that loud "click" away.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

may sound bad, but i put the safety in the fire position the minute i get situated in the stand. You never know when you are going to need to take a rushed shot. The thing i cant stand the most is when i try to pull the trigger and nothing happens. By the time i fure out what the deal is the deer is gone and so are my chances of shooting him.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

may sound bad, but i put the safety in the fire position the minute i get situated in the stand. You never know when you are going to need to take a rushed shot.
Yup, it sounds bad! You never know when something could accidently jar the trigger and then what? Is a rushed shot at a deer more important than trying to avoid an unnecessary accident?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Try to get a small amount of gun oil/ lube in there, then work the safety back and forth repeatedly. I have done this a with couple of button style safeties and it seems to take that loud "click" away.
This is what I did...when my Gun was new I worked the safety a lot, and that lessened the noise. But you also have to hold onto the safety when you flip it to Fire, don't simply flick it on, if you do this, it will always make noise.

Gangly...that seems like a very unsafe practice and I would not advise others to do that....One slip, or bang could result in a very bad situation. I would much rather miss that odd deer, than shoot myself, or worse yet, someone else by accident.........
Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

My 700 does the same thing. I do it justlike StruttinGobbler3. Grab it with finger and thumbthen ease it forward.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Gotta say I agree with Gangly: once I'm situated and done screwing around with gear, the safety is off. To me this is no different than standing on the range with the safety off. As long as I'm in control of the gun, the potential for trouble is almost non-existent although, admittedly,some bizarre thing can always happen.

Quick Reply: Loud Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.