Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Loud Safety

Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Loud Safety

ORIGINAL: Gangly

may sound bad, but i put the safety in the fire position the minute i get situated in the stand. You never know when you are going to need to take a rushed shot. The thing i cant stand the most is when i try to pull the trigger and nothing happens. By the time i fure out what the deal is the deer is gone and so are my chances of shooting him.

Please don't invite me to Texas to hunt with you.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

may sound bad, but i put the safety in the fire position the minute i get situated in the stand. You never know when you are going to need to take a rushed shot. The thing i cant stand the most is when i try to pull the trigger and nothing happens. By the time i fure out what the deal is the deer is gone and so are my chances of shooting him.
seriously how long does it take to flip off a safety? a split second? not exactly brain surgery you're performing there bud just push it forward.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Gangly

dear god son. i sure hope thats not what they taught u in hunters safety. The split seconds it takes to flip off a safety as youre pulling your rifle up to your shoulder are so small. what happens if you get buck fever and drop your rifle? so many thoughts of bad things are going thru my head. be mature and safe, and use your safety. thats teh reason the good lord gave them to us.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 AM

I took my 13 year old neighbor out last weekend for his second ever deer hunt. I had just shot a buck and we were going back for the Jeep when he says to me, "I see a deer!" I say, "great, shoot". He clicks his safety off and it makes a very loud "CLICK". A gigantic non-typical whitetail jumps to his feet 15 yards away and the kid unloads a slug right into a tree hiding the deer's heart and the deer runs away.

Evidentlywhile we were walking he had spotted the huge buck's belly laying toward us and had recognized it as a deer. When it stood it looked "just like the one on the Federal box", and he got total buck fever. I explained that you should hold your fingers on both sides of the safety and slide it to avoid the click. I think he's going to remember that one from now on!
Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 AM

And please, everyone use your safety! Most basic aspect of gun safety and most important part of hunting.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are the statistics we see every year and the news reports every year that the anti;suse against us and callhunting INCIDENTS.Watch your news no longer accidents. If you are not using your safety, that is not an accident!
Old 11-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I don't see how this could even be a problem. I was always taught to never take the safty off till I'm ready to shoot. When my safety comes off I am already looking at the deer thru the scope and I hope it makes him stop and look for the noise.