Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mounting questions

Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mounting questions

I have never shot a buck. When ever I do want to get the head mounted. You cut it off right behind the shoulders right? Can you take that meat off the neck?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mounting questions

You cut it off right behind the shoulders right?
Not exactly. You would skin it such that the cape is intact from the tip of the nose to a point behind the shoulders; that is, it's all one piece from shoulders forward. Where you cut the head off would be just below the jaw and the taxidermist can deal with the ticklish situation of actually skinning out the head area. As for the meat, once the hide is taken off the shoulders and neck, it's the same as the hide being taken off a hind - the meat is there for the taking. Good luck on getting your dream buck.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I skin a deer that is to be mounted, I do my best to not cut through the skin anywhere, I have them hung by the back feet and start skinning down. I don't slice anywhere that isn't already cut from the field dressing. I pull/skin the hide all the way up the neck as far as I can towards the head. Then I cut through the neck right there. Bring the entire thing to the taxidermist and he does the rest.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

i cut throught the skin about halfway between the front legs and the rear legs... the more skin you leave the better, because once u cut it off you cant put it back on
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

First when you field dress the deer do not cut the ribs. Only ope the deer to the start of the ribs and reach in and get the heart and lungs ,etc out. Then when you go to cap the deer out leave as much hide as you can. If you want you can cut around the hide near the back legs. and then skin forward untill you get to 6 inches from the deers head. Do not cut through the hide anywhere. You'll have to pull the hide and peel the whole thing as you go towards the head. Then when you get to the 6 inch spot cut through the neck. Take that to the taxi and cut the rest up for the meat.

The reason for 6 inches is so the taxi can figure out the size of form needed for your mount. I've aslo heard you can measure the tanned hide later but ask your taxi. To be on the safe side leave the extra meat its realy not much.

I assume your butchering yourself. If not your butcher can probably doe it for you.