Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

YES! First deer!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default YES! First deer!

Some of you might remember my post of where to hunt about a week ago (Apple trees or rubs)
For the past 2 days I couldnt figure out how to sign in but I finally got it..... And YES! I got my first deer! I hunted on the edge of the apple trees.... On sunday evening i went out. I kept dozing off in the stand and at 3:35 pmi woke up to crunching to my left. About 10-15 yards away I see a HUGE 8 point. Im guessing 130s-140s... So I slowly stand up in my climber take my bow off the hook carefull not to make any noise. After I grabbed my bow I hooked my release to my string......

Just before I drew back the back looked straight up at me! Im thinking "NO" He took off and I was very upset. I dont know why he looked up, he was in front of me and the wind was perfect. What it might have been was when I grabbed my bow my full piece suit might have made some noise, I really dont like it because it makes a lot of noise when you move. Next at about 4:30 pm I stand up and start strapping my feet into my stand to climb down. As I do this, I look over into the brush to my left and see 2 tails go flying up and run away!
I was very upset about this too.

Next morning (Monday)it was raining when I woke up at 5:20. I decided to sleep in a little bit. At 6:30 I woke up again and it was drizzling. I said "Well, I'm not going to get anything sitting in the cabin" So I get dressed, eat and then hop on the quad to head down to my stand. At 7:15 I climb up and start testing my gear, drawing back my bow etc... As I do thisI look in front of me into the brush. I saw some brown moving and said to myself, that must be a weed or something. Then I noticed it was a small doe. So I drew back being nervous if she got to close I would draw back and she would hear me like the buck did. I had my bow drawn for about a minute. My shoulders were killing me and I was shaking. I decided I had to let the draw down. So I did and she heard me! She ran about 10 yards then turned right back around. She was watching me but not too much. I drew my bow again as she was walking towards me..... She stepped out of the brush at 10 yards and WACK! I had a pass through! I was so excited I climbed down checked my arrow (which was full of blood and hair) and quaded up to the cabin to give her time. After about an hour I headed down to go look for her. We couldnt find much of a blood trail because the leaves were soaking wet and most of the leaves were wet. So we walked around for about 20minutes. I found her lying about 200 yards from my stand. I gutted her myself (First time ever by myself). Im so excited I shot her! Its only a yearling probably 70-75 pounds, but I dont care! Its good eating! This was my first deer ever and it was with a bow! I hit a little far back, but she was slightly quartering away So i hit 1 lung.
Im trying to get pictures on... Hopefully tonight

Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: YES! First deer!

Congrats You'll always you remember your first deer
Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome...hooked for life...
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your 1st deer.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, the first is always special.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome story! My first deer with a bow was a young deer like yours but i bet you will be as proud as that one as any big buck you ever shoot. Glad to hear you got your hands dirty and cleaning it yourself. Now you gotta get back out there and try to get that 130-140 you have walking around!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

gratz on your 1st. hope there is many more to come.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on your first deer! and x2 for first bow kill even! .. love it
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

way to go ,congrats and welcome to the greatest and most addicting thing you will enjoy,good luck on your future hunts

Quick Reply: YES! First deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.