HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   how to rattle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/273402-how-rattle.html)

curth83 11-13-2008 02:19 PM

how to rattle?

I'm going out this weekend for the opener of gun here in NY and I wanted to try and see if I could rattle a buck in. I have never done this before so if you guys could let me know how you do it effectively that would be great.

GVoverstreet7 11-13-2008 02:27 PM

RE: how to rattle?

well i've always used real antlers, that's just how i do it. but just start out rattling and do it for about 2-3 minutes. then wait 30 minutes and repeat

lucky_shot 11-13-2008 07:11 PM

people have how to videos on youtube.com

i've never had any luck with it though

ElkNutz 11-13-2008 08:21 PM

It depends on stage of the rutwhere you are and your buck to doe ratio. We have about a 1 to 1 on our place with 15 or so bucks that frequent the area. It works GREAT for me. I rattle for 3 to 5 minutes and repeat every 30 or so minutes. At this stage of the rut the bucks are cruising and looking. Chances are the deer that hear you one sequence will not the second time. You must do it often enough to catch that possible passer by. I rattled on Tuesday and had a diffrent buck come in on two diffrent sequences. The second came back 3 times to look for the fight. All in all, on stand 6 hours, rattled 10 times. You will have them act all diffrent ways from sneeking in to charging in like they came to kick anybody's arse, thats in the woods. Thething to remember about any callingisyou then become the hunted. After you rattle scan the areas all around you for movement and BE STILL! I have had them show up in 30 seconds and sometimes it takes 25 minutes.
I have the best success by doinga snort wheeze or two about a minute before I start. I bang the horns together and make it as loud as possible. I work the horns togeher and pull them apart frantically. I work both the fronts and the backs of the horn trying to mimic the twisting and turning that deer do when they fight. If in a tree stand.I blow hard with my mouth which comes out the wheeze (sounds like PHHHHFOOTTTT!) often as I am rattling. If you have ever heard two bucks fight for real. There is not a noise you can do that won't be going on. Breaking branches, hard breathing, snorting, grunting, Just remember to make it sound real and don't puzzyfoot around. You are trying to imitate a knock down drag out fight not a school yard squabble. GOOD LUCK!

buckhunter14 11-14-2008 07:12 AM

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

Just remember to make it sound real and don't puzzyfoot around. You are trying to imitate a knock down drag out fight not a school yard squabble.

ElkNutz:

This alone, may be the best quote I have read this year. Thank-you for the honesty, and truthfulness. Excellent!

allmightyhunter13 11-14-2008 06:01 PM

i try to rattle but have never had succes with it... i donno like elknutz said... might depend on how the rut is at the time!!! but hey good luck:D,... elk nutx had some good advice!!!

BarnesX.308 11-14-2008 09:12 PM

I've rattled in two 8 pointers in two days this year. Both times I smashed the crap out of the antlers. I was as loud as I could be. You can't scare a mature buck during the rut. The second buck was a 130" gross 8 pointer who weighed 220lbs (and this is the PA woods). He came in to 20 yards. I was on the ground and he saw me draw the bow. He just stared at me. I think he was thinking "ha, what are you going to do?". Then he heard the Mathews "thwak"!!!

The other 8 pointer came in on a jog but caught me with the antlers in my hand. When I put the antlers down and picked up the bow, he didn't run away. He just paced back and forth, looking in my direction. He was 40 yards out so I didn't want to shoot. Also, he was looking in my direction so I had to remain motionless. He eventually walked away. He crossed a logging road at 45 yards broadside. With a rifle, it would have been cake.

I used to rattle little 6 point racks gingerly. You know, the tickling the tips together for the curiousity. I only ever rattled in a yearling 6 point.

Smash them like crazy!!!! Just be ready. The buck might only be 100 yards away and on you in 20 seconds.