Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wal-Mart Guns???

Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wal-Mart Guns???

I would go and support the local gun shop. All the guns I've seen at Wally-World were made of plastic [:'(]
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Spike

anyone who buys a gun should do their research before buying it anyway. So since you've done the research, buy wherever is cheapest.

Anyone who asks a walmart employee questions about guns/hunting is fooling themselves if they think they'll get a correct answer.

Like someone said above, research which gun is best for you, buy where cheapest, if you have questions later, take it to the local gun shop and ask. They won't turn you away just because you didn't buy your gun from them!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I'm fortunate enough to live near a couple Bass Pro Shops.

I'm fortunate to have a buddy with his FFL. He makes enough off other guys to pay his yearly FFL fees so I get good deals. So I guess I am supporting the local guy. I don't have a gunshop/smith in my area anyway.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know why everyone is saying that the guns and ammo at walmart are of "less quality" or "inferior." An Remington 700 CDL is a Remington 700 CDL, whether it is sold at Wal-mart or your local gun shop owner.

I will say however, that the people who work at walmart don't know too much about the outdoors... [X(]
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

Walmart has purchasing power. Believe it or not, the mark up on guns is zilch.. Its hard to pass up a deal, but most of what they sell is not high quality. They go bang, and a lot of companies have geared their production to satisfy that crowd. Thats how we got Remington 710 package deals. Its good to support your local guy as best you can. He took a big risk being in business for himself, most cases he's selling guns because it is his hobby too. Times are hard. I just had the same Walmart delima with truck tires. Could have saved $80 at Wally, but went to a local guy instead. Walmart never did me any favors anyway and at least he remembers who I am.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM

I hate Wal-Mart I do not think they are very ethical in there business practice.

I hate the Local Dealer they treat new people to the sport with no respect at all.

Cabela's seems to have it right. They try to help out even the most Dense of customers but there prices can be a little on the high side.

I like to hunt. Money is Tight. I would find the best deal with someone who is going to treat you right & look out for your pocket book. But I would never support Wal-Mart. You might not find the same great Low Price that Wal-Mart provides but you can look beyond the local dealer & find prices closer to your budget.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 AM
Banned

Now that is one dealer I wont mess with. There is one around here that acts like an a$$. Most overpriced stuff in town. Im sure he has his buddies that buy regularly, but how much will one guy spend? You have to give it to Wally though, they have incredible marketing. They have figured out how to strike consumers where and when and get them spending. Notice the new renovated stores? Go down the hunting isles and you'll see a lot of amateur supplies. That is their market. They aren't trying to appeal to people who are really experienced. If you are looking for an average gun, average scope, and average ammo, that is the place to go. Nothing wrong with that either, you'll probably get a good deal. Just not my thing.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Compairing apples to apples the guns at walmart are the same. Walmart buys in bulk so they can get a great deal. Think of how many thousands of guns they buy each year. They are the single biggest seller of guns in the country. So they get a great deal and pass some of it on. Because, lets face it, if you come in for a gun you'll buy other stuff.

Now if you bought the exact same model from you local gun dealer he'd have to charge more. But the gun is exactly the same. And they carry alot of better models too. But they buy 2-3 of one model while walmart buys 20,000 of the same model, etc.

I like supporting my local shops, But if Walmart stopped selling guns....It would put a big hurtin on the gun industry. You don't wanna see that either.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

If he's the one on Hwy 5 south of town, I bought a .17hmr from him a few years back.
ORIGINAL: lucky_shot

i'd say help the little guy

my father in law ownes and operates the local shop here in town called arms reach located in mountain home, arkansas. if ya'll are ever in my neck of the woods look him up!
thats him!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Peck1524

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

The guns are the same quality but come on spend a couple more bucks and support a gun shop owner. Plus they know more about the guns. I have heard that the ammunition at walmart is hot loads and its lower quality!!!
Why would Remington go to the trouble of making different (and inferior!)150 grain core-locts just to sell at Wal-Mart? I have bought a couple of guns at Wal-Mart. I don't need the salesman's advice there. I do my homework before I decide to buy. I bought my .270 from a gun dealer. I got him to match the Wal-Mart price on the riflethen I bought a scope from him and paid him to mount it. There's nothing wrong with being a smart consumer.
Hit the nail on the head!!

X2! I thought it was kind of ironic that someone with access to the internet would ask a Wal-Mart employee for advice on anything!

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Guns???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.