Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting alone vs with others... >

Hunting alone vs with others...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting alone vs with others...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Spike

Default RE: Hunting alone vs with others...

just to reiterate, do be careful who you choose. I know that when I walk in the woods, I am very mindful of all of my surroundings, and as the saying goes "don't stop on anything you can step over", that holds very true for me. I hunt with one of my buddies who is a bit more clumsy than I am and it annoys me sometimes, but it is still great to hunt with a friend.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Used to hunt with several folks. Did a lot of scouting for them, gave them info on good bucksand they got some very nice bucks while i got little. No more of that for me.Still do the scouting. But the only folks i share that info with aremy son and grand-daughters.Has worked out a lot better that way.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 AM

I want to thank all of you who sent me back input. I have been reading as much as I can from various sites, and also have been watching Youtube videos as well.

Unfortunately, I have to hunt public lands as I can't afford the steep lease rates of private lands or outfitters. I also have to purchase all hunting gear (except for a rifle & camping gear), plus the non-resident licenses, state park vehicle-parking fees, and camping rates.

I'm still trying to figure out which of the state parks to hunt in Wisconsin (good deer population vs. number of hunters, plus allows camping) and I am running out of time quickly... season starts November 22nd though the 30th, which gives me little time to physically scout it out before season starts. My original thoughts are to go a day or two earlier to be sure to have a place to camp, and to figure out where the pressured deer may travel through to get away from everyone when the crowds start coming.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the WDNR put's deer season smack dab in the middle of a major holiday ? To top it off, my wifes birthday is also during the only firearm hunting week for deer also. Hunting / Divorced.... choices choices...

I am hoping not to have to give up the idea of hunting this year... Which is why I was kinda hoping to find someone that had much of this figured out, and could "show me the ropes". Especially if I manage to actually get a deer, I have never field-dressed an animal before, and for that aspect I really would like some assistance.

Thanks again everyone for listening to my rant...

-John
Fox Lake, IL
Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck John

Dont be afraid to get out there and do it on your own. If you understand and adhere to the safety rules and area laws just go ahead and do it.

As far as field dressing a deer, it's actually pretty simple. There have been several videos posted here on how to do it. There are also many publications that show how. Take your time with it. Some tend to want to rush it and wind up puncturing things they didn't want to including themselves.

My first hunt, 4 years ago was with my 12 year old daughter. Neither of us had ever gone before. Like you, i asked lots of questions of the people on this site and learned tons. She killed a deer that day (youth day). Best hunting day of my life.

Just get out there and do it John. I'm sure if you have any questions before you go the great folks on here will help you.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Spike

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Spike

let us know how it goes too
Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 PM

I like hunting with my dad (im 23 and only been hunting for 4 years now) sometimes we go with like 9 guys but the area is not really big enough for all of us BUT it does get the deer moving back and forth. I never went alone and dont think it would be much fun if you shoot a deer and need help dragging it out and so forth
Old 11-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike

I like to hunt alone for the most part but I am looking to getting my son in on hunting very soon. He is still to young.
I started hunting 4 years ago with a guy I met at Bow Class. Turns out he did not know half of what he thought and would consistantly get us busted, not to mention he was a smoker and could never make it to the hunting spot without fireing one up in the car on the way. He would always justify it with something about someone he knew that has taken all these bucks and smokes in the woods. After a half season of that I went solo and have bagged three bucks and a doe.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 PM

I think deer hunting is a solo event. I truly enjoy time spent at the camp with others and the comraderie we share, but the actual hunt is alone time. Only 3 people get to hunt with me. My wife, who decided it's too cold for her; and my 2 sons. Other than that I deer hunt alone.
When I want to hunt with others I try to do a little squirrel hunting.