Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting alone vs with others... >

Hunting alone vs with others...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting alone vs with others...

Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Hunting alone vs with others...

I am new to deer hunting, and am looking for a mentor... I have shot at ranges for a couple of years now... and think I am good enough to take this to the next level...

Any ideas on finding a partner ?

I think I would feel more comfortable hunting with more experienced hunter(s).

Is this an uncommon request ?

-John
Fox Lake, IL
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting alone vs with others...

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I think I would feel more comfortable hunting with more experienced hunter(s).

Is this an uncommon request ?

-John
Fox Lake, IL
actually, i think that it is a good request. have you talked to any local hunters? especially the guys at the shooting range. or, at local gunshops? until you find someone to help you, read as much as you can and ask as many questions that you would like. there are a lot of knowledgeable hunters here that are more than willing to help.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

HUNTING is fun w/ preople of like mind. You get ot share experiences, woes and lies at the nedo fthe day, On the whole outdoors people are honest and ethical, the sort of person I perfer to be around. However, I do like to hunt by myself and do so fequntly. I let people know where I am of course. First few years hunt w/ someone of you can, sportsmans clubs are a good spot to meet and greet. Sometimes the old timers who can't get aorund so much appreciate being around someone w/ enthusiasm and that will take them along. They have a lot to teach us! Good Luck.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Spike

Hey man, I know how you feel. I started hunting 7 years ago, and I am the ONLY person in my family to hunt, (besides my one uncle, but he doesn't do it anymore, hasn't for a long time). I had to teach myself everything, I didn't even have anyone to show me how to field dress a deer!! But what I did, is do a bunch of reading and research. Took a hunter's safety course and hunting license requirement class. Bought the right equipment, and most importantly, got out in the woods and hunted. I have learned more from actually going in the woods, than I have from any book. It has been trial and error since day one. And anyone, whether they have been hunting for 4 or 40 years can say that they learn something, no matter how big or small, every time they are in the woods. I learned little by little and finally I shot my first deer with a shotgun, then my first buck with my bow and it has been an addiction ever since.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like stated above, hunting with others can be fun. It all really depends on the situation. I like both. The other people I hunt with tend not to take everything as seriously as I do. Like scent and noise discipline. But it's still fun sometimes.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer hunting alone, but have enjoyed co. of others plenty of times. I like the one on one aspect of hunting for big buck. It's a " to each his own "
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Becarefull on who you choose. You must be like minded in almost everything you do. If you like to go to the bar after the hunt your partner should to. This is just an example but the more you have in common the better. If you go out of state with them it helps for the non hunting time.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I love to hunt alone and never hunt with anyone. The only person I will hunt with is my son. I went with him today and he got a very nice mule deer. The memory we had today will last forever. Other then hunting with him I hunt solo.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I've been blessed with an uncle who is more like an older brother to me (he's 13 years my senior). His whole life is hunting and fishing and took the time to take me ever since I was a young child. My father also took me hunting and fishing but he isn't quite the maniac that my uncle and I are even though I think I'm starting to rub off on him . Any IMO, there is no substitutefor a good mentor to show you the ropes because there is SO much to learn. I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to hunt (I already take my daughter fishing) and be a mentor for them. If you can find a good honest mentor, your learning curve will be much less steep.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Having a mentor is great, but if one doesn't materialize, don't hesitate to get out and try it by yourself. You'll learn as you go. There's a lot to learn just on these forums.

Quick Reply: Hunting alone vs with others...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.