Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added) >

1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added)

Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added)

Hey guys, I've been really bored when I'm at home lately so I thought I would start a hunting log of my hunts.

DD, I'm not trying to copy you.

11/10/2008 (Monday)

I had planned on going this morning but I did'nt really feel like sitting in 15mph winds with 25mph gusts, so I went to school instead. After school I got my grandpaw to drop me off on about 60 acres of land for the afternoon hunt. I get dressed and begin my mile trek to the feild stand.
About 3:45 I arrive at the stand and hear some crunching to my right in the woods. I poke my head over the hill and see about 10 turkeys digging through the leaves. So I hit the ground and rapidly put a primer into my TC Omega .50 cal. (My dad really wants a wild turkey for Thanksgiving this year so we'vebeen tryingpretty hard to get one.)Apparently I made too much noise in doing that and scared them off. As I watch them fly away, I spot a red fox run after them. I was going to shoot that as well because I have never killed one before. But I do not get a shot at it either.
After those encounters were over I climb into the homemade stand around 3:50. I get everthing ready, and listen to the turkeys yelp away behind me.
At 4:30 a mama doe with a broken leg comes out into the feild. I was going to shoot her but I was really wanting some horns to stirr my soup with.I decide not to shoot her, and let the other hunters on the property take her.
At 5:00 two fawns come into the feild from my left. One was a button buck and the other wasa doe. Again I decide not to shoot and let them grow. They stayed 20 yards away from me for about 10 min. and left.
At 5:20 the mama doe with the broken leg left. I didnt see anything after that. Dave (a fellow hunter on the same property) said that he didnt see any thing other than the fox and turkeys that I saw.

I will be going back out tommorow morning for the best day for hunting so far. Almost no wind and below freezing temps. I can't wait. I really think I'm going to see something.

[align=center]GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!!![/align]
Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MY LITTLE DIARY

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

Hey guys, I've been really bored when I'm at home lately so I thought I would start a hunting log of my hunts.

DD, I'm not trying to copy you.

11/10/2008 (Monday)

I had planned on going this morning but I did'nt really feel like sitting in 15mph winds with 25mph gusts, so I went to school instead. After school I got my grandpaw to drop me off on about 60 acres of land for the afternoon hunt. I get dressed and begin my mile trek to the feild stand.
About 3:45 I arrive at the stand and hear some crunching to my right in the woods. I poke my head over the hill and see about 10 turkeys digging through the leaves. So I hit the ground and rapidly put a primer into my TC Omega .50 cal. (My dad really wants a wild turkey for Thanksgiving this year so we've been trying pretty hard to get one.) Apparently I made too much noise in doing that and scared them off. As I watch them fly away, I spot a red fox run after them. I was going to shoot that as well because I have never killed one before. But I do not get a shot at it either.
After those encounters were over I climb into the homemade stand around 3:50. I get everthing ready, and listen to the turkeys yelp away behind me.
At 4:30 a mama doe with a broken leg comes out into the feild. I was going to shoot her but I was really wanting some horns to stirr my soup with. I decide not to shoot her, and let the other hunters on the property take her.
At 5:00 two fawns come into the feild from my left. One was a button buck and the other was a doe. Again I decide not to shoot and let them grow. They stayed 20 yards away from me for about 10 min. and left.
At 5:20 the mama doe with the broken leg left. I didnt see anything after that. Dave (a fellow hunter on the same property) said that he didnt see any thing other than the fox and turkeys that I saw.

I will be going back out tommorow morning for the best day for hunting so far. Almost no wind and below freezing temps. I can't wait. I really think I'm going to see something.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!
i hate hearin this... i mean im not tryin to tell ppl how to hunt but ive been raised to take out a sufferin animal no mater the circumstances
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look, there are a lot (probly 7) other hunters on the same 60 acres. They are all meat hunters, If I kill that deer, I would have no where to take it. The processor here closed at 3pm. The meat would spoil overnight. I was also taught to eat what you kill, and I have never been taught how to skin proccess a deer by myself. The chances of this deer not being seen by one of the other hunters is exremely low. Believe me, when I got back in the truck and was thinking about the hunt, I then began to regret not shooting this deer. Please forgive me, I really am sorry that I didn't give you the feeling that I didnt care that it was suffering. Please understand.

SORRY

Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI, deer can and do live with a broken leg or even a missing leg. Often you can only tell it is broken or missing is when they are walking, when they are running they can keep up with the other deer just fine.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, there was a deer over the summer that lived through last season with only 3 legs. She got hit by a car in August but she raised twins when she was still living.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

ohhh no no i dont blame you if you have no way to clean or store it your right .... i mean if you know for sure its bout to be taken by someone who can use it then by all means but all im sayin is if you kill it for sufferin purposes and dont wont to (or cant) clean it give it to a buddy or if its private land see if the owner wants it.... btw i saw a post a few months about skinnin a deer ill see if i can find it for you http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...cdeer&#3059339
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

11/11/08 Tuesday

Went out for the morning hunt. Weather was 27 degrees and clear skies. Me and my dad just knew it was going to be a good day. I decide to hunt the field stand, and my dad hunts the woods.
Daylight comes around about 6:15. Nothing moving at all. At 7:15 a gobbler flies off his roost, which happened to be the tree behind me, and gobbles at the hen in the woods to my left. He enters the field and sprints over to her.
That was all we saw, other than squirrels. Nothing was moving at all. There were only about 5 shots that went off the whole morning, and we are hunting in one of the most heavily hunted areas in Virginia. Very slow day.

Will be heading out after school for the afternoon hunt. I’m going back to the stand that I saw the three does yesterday. Hoping for some horns.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tuesday 11-11-08 Afternoon

Last night when I got home I was too tired to do anything so I went to bed. Sorry about it kinda being late.
Got dropped of at the same place as Monday. Got to the stand about 3:30. The action was already started. As soon as I got in my seat, I heard something moving to my left. There was a doe headed up the opposite side of the ridge. I decided not to shoot her, then I hear another deer coming up the same path. I get the deer in my scope and it’s a small 3pt. I pass on it and let him “get some”. Then about 7 gobblers came behind me searching through the leaves. There was also 2 does in the field and the turkeys spooked them too.
Nothing else showed up until 5:00. I heard a deer running down to the creek bottom. I couldn’t find it in my scope, and I waited till it got in the field. When it got to the field I realized it was the same broken legged doe that I had seen the day before. I was going to shoot her so I get her in my scope. Then I hear another deer coming down the creek bottom. So I wait for it to get in the field, and it was the same 3pt. that I had seen earlier. At that point I wanted to shoot the doe, but she had gone over the crest of the field out of my vision. Then I hear ANOTHER deer come down the same path to the creek bottom. I wait for it to get in the field and at first I don’t see very many points so I wasn’t going to shoot. I keep looking at it and it turns and all I see is how wide it was so when it turns broadside I shoot him.
At this point it was 5:30, right at dark, and the only light I have is my 3 bulb LED so I poke my head over the crest of the hill when I get down, I don’t see him so I go back to the truck for a better light.
My friend Dave had heard me shoot and was waiting for me back at the truck. He had a better light and we went to look for him. The landowners dogs had followed us. We got to the general are where I had shot him and immediately the dogs got their noses to the ground and started sniffing around. Dave and I started looking for blood. We couldn’t find anything and Dave’s light had died, so we’re left with two little LED lights. Right when we were about to go look for him in the woods the dogs started barking. I thought that was kinda weird so I started walking over to him and one of the dogs came over to me, started barking and was looking like he wanted me to follow him. So I did. The dog led me straight over to the far edge of the field, the only place we hadn’t looked.
We drug the deer to the top of the crest in the field to gut him. I make the first cut at the breast bone and his heart immediately starts to pump. It scared the **** out of me and I cut his throat real quick. I had never had a deer do anything like that to me before. It kinda made me feel bad, but oh well.
He turned out to be a 5pt. He was real wide but he just didn’t have any points on him. But I am happy that I got him. I’m at school right now, so ill post some pics when I get home, I promise. Sorry bout the long story…

Heres the pics of the buck I shot, idk why I measured, but he's pretty wide. 13 inches exactly.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another pic

Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Dude, people are reading it, the page is gettingviews....You write if you want to man, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Quick Reply: 1shotkill's hunting diary (pics added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.