HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Rifle For My Daughter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/272729-rifle-my-daughter.html)

7X57MAUSER 11-09-2008 08:42 PM

Rifle For My Daughter

My daughter, Stephanie, is 10. She has been showing an intrest in deer hunting the last couple of years. This year she tells me she want to go deer hunting next year and kill a deer. GREAT... a kid hooked on hunting is better than hooked on something else.

Stephanie is petite for her age.I would appreciate ya'lls suggestionson which rifle and caliber to get her. I handload, soI can reduce just about any load so she can practice her shooting easily.

Iam a BIG Remington fan and am considering the Model 770 Youth in 243.

Thanks
Alan

bronko22000 11-09-2008 08:50 PM

RE: Rifle For My Daughter

Have you tried the 770s? You'd be better off getting a Savage youth model. I got my grandson the Savage 11FYCAK in 7-08. It comes with the shorter stock, muzzlebrake, and detachable magazine. And man is it accurate. Once I found a load for it, it will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. (best group was .29") using 150 grain bullets.

lucky_shot 11-09-2008 08:56 PM

.243 or 25-06 are flat shooters,they both are great guns and they don't kick like a mule

7X57MAUSER 11-09-2008 08:57 PM

NoI have not tried the 770s.I have had great luck with Remington in the past and not much experience with any other brand. This is exactly why I am asking these questions. I need ya'lls opinions. I will look at the Savage youth, especially sinceI shoot a 7mmand have all the bullets already.

Thanks!!

flyinfeathers 11-09-2008 09:09 PM

My daughter is also 10 and also petite. She looks like she should be in 2nd grade. Her sister was 14 when I first took her and bought a Rossi .243 youth rifle. The 10yr old has been wanting to go bad since her sister killed a deer when she was 14. I told her that she needed to shoot her sisters rifle. She was too afraid. Even after her sister shotit to show her it wasn't that bad,she wouldn't do it because the noise scared her and she was afraid of the recoil.

I took her out on the youth hunt anyway in some woods behind our house with my bow. She asked if she could take her bow and of course I said yes. She knew she wouldn't be able to shoot her bow anyway but it made all the difference to her just to be able to go and say she hunted with her bow.

We will see how it goes next year.

Good luck to you.

timbercruiser 11-09-2008 09:18 PM

When my grandsons started getting interested in hunting I wasn't sure just how much they would like it. I bought a nice scope, Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40, and a H&R single shot with the idea that I could buy a more expensive rifle in a year or two and move the scope. I've shot their rifle several times and have been with them when both shot their first few deer. It is a great shooting (althought cheap) rifle.

staitague 11-09-2008 09:18 PM

try 257

A11en 11-10-2008 02:24 AM

My son shoots a .243 with no problem. He is 11 in this photo but had been shooting it since he was 9. For kids at this age, I'm a fan of the single shotfor safety reasons. It also teaches them to make the shot count, although he can reload very quickly.

remingtonshooter1 11-10-2008 04:15 AM

were u hunt i was started on a 4.10 then i bumped to the 270

jrbsr 11-10-2008 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: A11en

My son shoots a .243 with no problem. He is 11 in this photo but had been shooting it since he was 9. For kids at this age, I'm a fan of the single shotfor safety reasons. It also teaches them to make the shot count, although he can reload very quickly.

Congratulations to him.

I started with a 12 ga IverJohnson single barrel.
I got for helping my uncle mow his grass for a summer.

He qualifies for the 2008-2009 Firearm Contest.