Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt >

Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

I'm just curious to see what everyone does prior to and during a hunt to ensure as much scent prevention as possible. Here's what I do...

First, I wash everything I'm going to wear (including underwear and socks) in scent free laundry detergent. Then I dry everything using Fresh Earth dryer sheets. Then I place everything in a large ziplock bag with a couple Fresh Earth wafers inside.

Next, I take a shower using Hunters Specialties scent free soap and shampoo. I ensure I use a wash cloth and a towel that were washedwith the detergent and dried with the drier sheets I mentioned earlier. Then I apply some scent free anti-persperant and dress myself in clothes that were also cleaned the way mentioned above. (I don't put on the clothes in the bag until I get to the hunting spot).

Once I get to the hunting spot, I change into the clothes that are in the bag. Then I spray Fresh Earth cover scent all over my clothes and boots. Once my ground blind is set-up, I spray it down with the same spray and hang a few Fresh Earth wafers on it. I also use a lot of vegetation from that area to camo the blind.

Once inside the blind, if I have to relieve myself, I use an empty water jug that I brought with me so as not to spook any deer with the scent of my urine. I also use snuff and I spit into a plastic bottle I bring with me. I'm not sure if the scent of Copenhagen spit would spook a deer but I figure better safe than sorry.

I primarily use a ground blind right now because I have yet to purchase a tree stand. But when I get my Summit Viper SS for Christmas, I'll be using the same procedures.

So what do you do???
Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

i wash my clothes in special detergent and i keep em in plastic box with a little earth scent
Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Spike

I've went to the trouble of spaying earth scent on my boots and legs of what ever camo I'm wearing. I don't worry with anything else other than what direction the wind is blowing. No special soaps at all.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anytime from a week to the night before the opening day of hunting, I wash all my clothes in scent free detergent. Dry them with earth scented dryer sheets. Then take them and set them on the front porch over the night. In the morning when I wake up, I take a shower in Hunter's Specialties soap/shampoo, and dry off with a regular towel. I go to the front porch and spray everything down with scent eliminating spray. I come back inside get something to eat, and make sure I have everything I need. When I'm done eating I go back outside and get dressed. Then I get everything in the truck, while my dad is still taking his shower, and wait for him to be ready. Once I get in the stand, I normally dont do anything scent-wise because I dont like to make anymore noise than I have to in the woods.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM

I wash all my hunting clothes in scent free/uv brightner free soap. Also, I wash socks, underwear, blue jeans and a t-shirt, and atowel and wash cloth in the same soap. I store these in unscented trash bags, in a plastic tote in my closet away from unwanted scents.The night beforeI hunt, I hang my clothes that I am going to wearoutside away from the house and barn, (so they don't pick up any unwanted scents). Then beforeI go hunting,I shower with scent free soap. I use arm n hammer unscented deodorant( cheaper than the hunter do.)I dress on the porch, (an advantage to living in the country), in my scent free blue jeans and t-shirt. Once I get to my hunting area, I change into my hunting clothes.

Prior to all of this, I spray my vehicle seats and carpet with scent neutralizer.I also do not wear cologne during hunting season at all. I leavemy vehicle windows down the night before I hunt to help remove the human related scents.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I check the weather for the wind direction and when I get to the woods I check it again, then I hunt accordingly.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

I just hunt with the wind in my face.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

See my signature.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

For all you guys that don't do anything special, are you hunting on the ground or in the trees?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Spike

Up in the trees as far as I can get. I try to get at least 18 feet at a minimum. Cover and shooting lanes usually determine where I stop climbing.

Quick Reply: Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.