Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt >

Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Default RE: Your scent prevention rituals before and during a hunt

I do almost all of what you do. I don't use fresh earth scent in general because I figure, if a deer has such a great nose, he can tell the difference between fake and real dirt, especially if he has winded me before.

I spray coon urine on my boots.

I get dressed before heading out and spray only my hands and face if i sweated a bit on the way to the stand. I only bowhunt from a treestand, usually twenty feet up.

Before I started getting neurotic about scent control and just used the wind, I got winded by does all the time. Now I never do.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i don't wash my clothes until the night before my hunt. then i'll wash them in uv and scent killer washing detergent. i then dry them in the dryer with a earth scent dryer sheet from scent away. after they are dry, i hang them outside on my front porch over night to keep them away from house hold scents. i'll shower the moning of the hunt with scent away soap and shampoo. after the shower i use scent away deoderant and get dressed outside on the front porch. my truck is already loaded up and fueled up prior to me leaving for the woods. this way i don't have to stop on the way for anything. once in the woods i put on my snake proof rubber boots (that i ONLY wear while hunting/scouting) and spray down with Primos Silver Scent Killer /w earth scent.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't feel that scent is as huge as everyone else. Personally, I just leave my hunting clothes out on the porch for a week before my hunts. Let mother nature take care of the scent. I usually put some pine needles and oak leaves in them. I keep them in a plastic bag until I hit my hunting grounds. From there, I usually just spray myself down in scent killer and head to the stand. I'll usually play the wind as well, thats the most important thing in my mind. There's nothing you can do to eliminate your scent completely.Animals smell you by the skin cells you shed (as well as other things)on average a human sheds 600,000 skin cells an hour. I don't understand how you can stay completly scent free with a stat like that. I'll do the smaller things to stay scent free, but in my experince, when I have done all the precautionary steps, it has just seemed like an overkill.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Spike

I think peeing into a jug has to be a must. Agreed?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM

To be honest, I dont think so Ranger. Two weeks ago I had to pee while in a ground blind. I got out of the ground blind and walked about 15 to 20 yards away from the blind, and went ahead and relieved myself. Wasn't 30 minutes later a 4 point walked right next to the very tree I used as a bathroom. So I am a firm believer that it doesn't matter where ya pee at.

But that's just me....
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I pee out of the stand. I've had spikes walk within 20 feet of where I peed just 30 minutes prior.

I wash my clothes in scent-free, UV brightener-free soap and put them in garbage bags with freshpine needles. Sometimes the Mrs. gets mad when she gets up in the morning and there are pine needles where I dressed.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger48

I think peeing into a jug has to be a must. Agreed?
i try to piss before going to my stand which works most of the time. when the urge hits me in my stand, i stand up and piss out of my tree stand. i did this last weekend and shot a seven point a couple hours later at 40 yards away.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM

First off let me just say,I really don't use scents,especially if it's cold enough cause most of the time,the scents just travel upwards anyway.
Every now and then I'll use'Scent Killer'
But I'm sold on 'Tink's #69',a few times i've had real good luck using that:
I've had deer come from downwind,i've had deer come in to my scrapes(as I was makin'em)!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I hunt the wind but I also do:

1) Wash clothes in Scent free detergent.
2) Pack them in trash bags and remove the air from the bags.
3) Seal them in rubber totes.
4) When I get to area where I'm hunting, I'll put cedar or ping branches in the bags for a more natural scent, and let them sit awhile before using.
5) I wash me in scent away soap.
6) I use gum that makes mybreath scent free.
7) While I'm in the stand, I'll use a Earth scent wafer or a spray bottle to send scent downwind, just in case I get approached from that direction.

That's about it!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Sportwash and baking soda, store in a closet with an ozone generator. I wash with HS green bodywash and a baking soda rinse for the piehole. I don't go further than than that because I know I can't fool that deer's nose.