HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/272658-how-do-you-all-deal-anti-hunter-inlaws.html)

Stoningtonwhitetail 11-09-2008 02:53 PM

How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

I am posting this because of a recent discussion I had with my mother-in-law. Yesterday I bought a new box of ammo for my .308 and when I brought it home, my mother-in-law was over. I was showing the bullets to my 5 year old son, he is really interested in hunting already. I looked over and she gave me a look of disgust and said...."how can you justify that" I asked what she meant and she said "how can you justify that, that bullet would kill an inocent animal"...I shook my head and that began a debate about hunting....she mentioned that we arent starving and that we should just go the the store to buy food and that I hunt for only the joy of killing something....again I just shook my head and told her to visit a farm and see her cow next time and how it is raised, just to beeaten,before she eats it....I AM SO FRUSTRATED with these kind of people and I have a mother-in-law, I knew it ahead of time and have been married for 8 years, but it just is getting worse...Finally, I was showing the doe scents to my boys and she again had to comment and said to me that I was a cheater....anyways sorry for the long post but I had to vent!!! THANKS.

timbercruiser 11-09-2008 03:13 PM

RE: How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

The best thing would be to not confront her. You know what her beliefs are (8 years worth +) and bringing up hunting related items when she is over for a visit isn't a good way to maintain good family relations. There is plenty of time you can share hunting with your son when she isn't around.

jrbsr 11-09-2008 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Stoningtonwhitetail

I am posting this because of a recent discussion I had with my mother-in-law. Yesterday I bought a new box of ammo for my .308 and when I brought it home, my mother-in-law was over. I was showing the bullets to my 5 year old son, he is really interested in hunting already. I looked over and she gave me a look of disgust and said...."how can you justify that" I asked what she meant and she said "how can you justify that, that bullet would kill an inocent animal"...I shook my head and that began a debate about hunting....she mentioned that we arent starving and that we should just go the the store to buy food and that I hunt for only the joy of killing something....again I just shook my head and told her to visit a farm and see her cow next time and how it is raised, just to beeaten,before she eats it....I AM SO FRUSTRATED with these kind of people and I have a mother-in-law, I knew it ahead of time and have been married for 8 years, but it just is getting worse...Finally, I was showing the doe scents to my boys and she again had to comment and said to me that I was a cheater....anyways sorry for the long post but I had to vent!!! THANKS.
Tell her that at least the deer have a 50/50 chance to get away.
But the animals at the slauther house don't have any chance.

At least the deer aren't pumped full of antibotics, and steroids, like farm animals are.

And deer meat is leaner.

That makes deer healther to eat.

JMHO

Centauri 11-09-2008 03:28 PM

Just don't confront her, and tell your son that grandma is wrong about hunting. I don't think you would like it if she told him about the "evils" of this sport.

RugerM77.270 11-09-2008 03:44 PM

I love to piss off my in-laws and they know it, its become a game of sorts. If i was you I would have my son harvest his first deer ASAP just for the spite.

SWThomas 11-09-2008 04:21 PM

My step mom is like that. I just don't talk about it when I'm at their house.

Stoningtonwhitetail 11-09-2008 04:30 PM

Thank you for your posts....I always try to not talk to her about it or either bring it up around her, but my son knew what I was bringing home "the bullets and doe scent" and I didnt know my mother-in-law was over...so it was hard when he brought it up first, I couldnt get away fast enough before she had to open her mouth...she is very opinionated, and yes I should not from 8 years but as I said she is getting much worse over the past few years...I am thinking because of my boys, she thinks I will "taint" them....well I guess my father and grandfather and great-grandfathers were all wrong ......right? as I type this my 5 year old is playing cabela's big game hunting....:)

anyways I agree that I shouldnt bring it up around her to keep the family in good standing...but as you can see this time it was a bit out of my hands....anyways I just wanted to vent....and thank you for your posts.....my final thought is there is no winning.....just hard to have my wife's mom so opinionated....at least my wife is all for it.....:)

flyinfeathers 11-09-2008 05:41 PM

Grill up some deer steaks and invite her over for dinner.

Don't tell her that it's venison.

Unless she compliments you on how good they are. :D

dirtyd 11-09-2008 06:14 PM

My in-laws are british and when we were over in england last year the new family didnt think i was a very good person for hunting. i pointed out a few things to shut em up.

1. there are more deer in the US now than there was when we first came over. (due to the fact that we have killed off their enemies.)
2. everything i kill we eat/or we give it to the hunters for hungry.
3. if we dont help take out some of the population they will starve. I've personally seen it on someones land, and its gross.
4. finally every tag i buy helps the government take care of game and so on and so on.

good luck. its tough on some people, but if u think about how we kill instantly and not with snares or traps its pretty damn good.

mossberghunter93 11-09-2008 07:03 PM

ignore and dont brinhup the subject i got a cousin like that