Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws? >

How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Thank you guys for all your input, I have delt with many anti's before...just didnt know that my mother-in-law was so against it, until now...I have cooled off but still bothered me she did it in front of my boys...one your posts indicated that I should confront her alone and indicate that she doesnt discuss hunting with my boys and that I am raising them...not her....GREAT ADVICE I will be doing that if I feel she is going to try to pass judgement again....GOD BE WITH ALL OF YOU THIS SEASON!! good luck in the woods and fields!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I dont talk about hunting or show pictures to those or in front of those who I know are against it.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Luckily I don't have inlaws like that but if I did I would relish it when they bring it up just to antagonize them. And every time they came over I would have venison for supper.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Spike

Best advice is to try to educate them as to why hunting is absolutely necessary. Antis typically just have no clue how important hunting is to our society.

1) Natural predators are now gone...if the deer herd is allowed to grow unchecked you get things like chronic wasting, starvation, devastated forests, unhealthy herds.
2) Many people are injured/killed in auto accidents involving deer...just think how bad it would be if hunters did not thin the herd. The number one advocate for hunting in DC is the insurance industry.
3) Hunters are this countries true enviromentalists...more land is left undeveloped because of hunters...thus more land for deer/wildlife to thrive on. Hunters do more to support wildlife than all of the enviromental groups combined.
4) Hunters really only make a small dent in the populations...hunting is restricted to select short time periods during the year.
5) The meat is excellent...hormone free, lean, good for you. Every hunter I know enjoys the meat...it does not go to waste.
6) In most cases hunting is very much a sport...it is difficult. Deer are smart, they are born prey animals which have great senses and are good at avoiding predators/hunters.
7) Hunting is a great bonding experience for fathers and children- families - friends. It teaches respect of nature, responsibility, gun safety, etc...
8) Hunting licenses and tags fund states enviromental programs.
9) The deer population in this country is more than healthy...there are more deer now than in any time in history.

Generally once antis understand the big picture...they may still not like hunting but they begin to understand why it is necessary and have a little more respect for it.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

All of my relatives are aware that I hunt, and even the ones who don't know better than to question the fact that I do. None of them are bunny huggers anyway.
Same here, I have my wife's folks. She has 4 sisters with 4 husbands and I think 11 kids between them all. My son and I are the only ones that hunt. They don't give me any problems about hunting and I don't remind them that the only dirt they ever had on the bottom of thier shoes was from the ball park in the cities where they live.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

1) I'd her to explain why she keeps killing those poor innocent plants for her salad (they never had a chance).

or

2) I'd also tell to quit going to the grocery store to scavenge for food and be a real predator for once.

or

3) Mind your own business and you won't be minding mine.

One of those three ought to fix it!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Invite them over for a big bowl of chili, just don't tell them it's bambi. My sister is like that, it's deer I can't eat it and then give a gag like she's ready to puke. Then I make a big pot of stew and she came over and hit the pot before she was told what it was. Went back for seconds and commented about how good it was and that I'd outdone myself, yadayadayada. Then I told her what she just ate and got accused of tricking her into eating it. Nobody tricked her she didn't ask before taking. Same thing happened with chili some time later. Now I don't tell her anything other than it's stew or it's chili. She'll ask if there is deer in it and I tell her to tell me if she finds it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing you can say to change her mind because in actuality, its not the killing of animals that bothers most people, its the idea that hunting is an antiquated activity to them, and its outrageous that anyone in modern times still hunts.

Think about it, no one ever says "how can you drive a car, or build a house," which probably kills more deer than hunting. In their mind, only an uncivilized, throwback to the pioneer days, would want to kill their own food. Your M.I.L is disgusted that her daughter is married to such a "hick" and she's lashing out against it, because she doesnt know how to accept a way of life that she doesnt understand.

Its part of a much bigger struggle in this country, these days, between people like her, and people like us. I just try to keep my hunting a secret to the people like that around me, its not worth the headaches.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

My dads ex wife was one of those. She'd ask me how I could hunt while chewing a double quarter pounder down. You can give them all the stuff about how its actually more fair for the game and all that crap. Personally I use a reason that my cousin gave me (and he's a vegitarian who will only eat meat if he has cleaned it with his own hands) Here's the reason "When you take into consideration the types of conditions and preservatives that slaughter house meat goes through it just makes sense not to eat any meat unless you kill it yourself". Do I actually beleive this? Hell no. The truth is that I eat what I kill but when it comes down to it there's just something about squeezing that trigger and hearing that scream. I may be
sick but I hunt for the kill.

So next time just say to your mother in law that you think its morally wrong and unsanitary to eat food that you have not processed yourself.
So the next time your mother inlaw makes meatloaf and has you over for dinner just tell her that you think its morally wrong and unsanitary to eat meat that you haven't processed your self.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM

Man yall are a bunch of pansies trying to keep it a secret from anti hunters. I confront people like that and start arguing with them. Just like when I see an environmentalist driving atoyota prius I get next to them and rev the pipes on my truck.

Quick Reply: How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.