Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws? >

How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 AM

Default RE: How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

its easy. I remind the old bat that she canto see her daughter and grand child, but shes not permited to speak to me in my house. Now I get along good with the old heffer.

Billy
Old 11-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

the last thing you want is a pissed off in-law. i'd leave it alone but like someone already said, i would tell the kids she is wrong about hunting.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who owns the house? i f She does, keep your trap shut.

If YOU work hard, own the house, pay taxes and a mortgage, tell her to hit the bricks.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

It is your house tell her to leave
Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

My family did not approve either so I fixed breakfast. The conversation went like this.

Them: This is the best sausage I have ever eaten! Where did you buy it.

Me: I didnt...I shot it.

They finished their sausage.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 AM

I've had great luck with the "anti's" explaining the benefits of hunting on a deer herd as a whole. I have a sister who just doesn't get it and can relate. It sounds like your mother-in-law isn't trying to see your point of view. Anyway this is what has worked for me. Explain that you try to harvest older animals that will eventually get eaten by coyotes or die of old age. Most people who oppose hunting are just uneducated.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine have come around over 20 years. They accept it, kids do it, wife even hunts now!

I wouldn't be the one to bring it up, your wife is the important one, she can actually be the go between here.

As long as it isn't being pushed into your kids, I wouldn't have a problem with it, everyone gets an opinion here.

As for hiding it in your house, nope, when mine come over they see the deer head, deer rack and elk rack all on the wall. Sort of freaked my MIL out at first, but now they don't even notice.

I use to have more trouble with my Mom. She showed me an article about a goose hunter who shot a goose, the goose's "mate" wouldn't leave the shot goose alone, so she asked how I could do that. I said "I wouldn't put up with it, any real goose hunter would've shot em both" She never talked to me about hunting again [8D]
Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Spike

yeah, been married 10+ years now.

Wife and Ma-in law were totally against hunting at first. Maybe I'm just lucky, but they would actually listen respectfully when I talked to them. Then I made some veni-burgers one day which the wife proclaimed "The best fuc@ing burger she ever had"!!

She then became an acvocate, talking more about it with her mom. Now they are always as stoked as me when the season rolls around. They don't care about racks and whatnot, they just want me to bring home the meat! Now they get pissed when I come home empty handed.[:-]

I try not to let them down.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Be careful about starting an unnecessary squabble with family. On the other hand, speak to her when the kids aren't around and make it very clear that you are responsible for raising your kids and that she is not to speak against hunting in their presence any more.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

All of my relatives are aware that I hunt, and even the ones who don't know better than to question the fact that I do. None of them are bunny huggers anyway.

Quick Reply: How do you all Deal with "anti-hunter" inlaws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.