Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting to your stand

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Getting to your stand

I try to get in at least an hour before legal shooting light. I like to have everything nice and settled down by the time shooting light rolls around.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

each stand i sit on it seems the deer come in at diff times. so sometimes its 30 mins. and sometimes its an hour. now honestly though on the 2 min to 10 min drive it always seems i drive faster no matter how soon i leave.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:40 PM

I like getting in a hour or so before first light to let things settle down and then when the city folk come tromping in a t daylight I'm there to kill the deer they jump up!!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Spike

I like to be in my stand 30-45 minutes before light...most times I leave even earlier as I havebit of a walk and like to take my time so I do not sweat.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Stoningtonwhitetail

I am sitting an hour before daylight
x2
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

45 minute to an hour. I have ot get ahead of the city hunters who come crashing in at a little before daylight. That way they the deer are heading towards me and looking back over their little shoulders at Teddy Orange Hunter Bear drinking coffee at light, smoking cigs and smelling like last nights garlic laced spaghetti!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot for 30 minutes ahead of shooting time (1 hr before sunrise), that is, if I can get my teenager out of the rack.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I get out an hour before hand to allow things to settle down. although last weekend I decided to move my ground blind around 1:30 and 5 minutes later a 4 point came strolling thru.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:28 AM

i usually get in the stand about 15 to 30 mins before day that way everything has had a chance to calm down.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

We head up about an hour and 15 minutes early.They guys have their ATV's and I grab a ride up the hill with them.That gets me to my stand an hour early. I use it to put out scents, open up the windows, set everything up as to binocs, thermos, candy, calls, all within reach. You just don't want to disturb anything coming through during that first 15 minutes where you can actually see something, but it's still too dark to shoot. If something big was in your area and walks away, you'd like to be able to start calling him back so when it starts getting light enough, he'd been re-entering your domain, especially on opening day.

Quick Reply: Getting to your stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.