Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me feel better

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help me feel better

Hey, if you want to wait and kill a bigger deer instead of a spike, more power to you. I watched a spike through my scope this past saturday for a good 15 minutes feeding down one of my lanes. He was broadside more than enough time to kill, but he's not what I was looking for. Only take that shot if you know you're going to be happy in harvesting the animal. Not just because everyone else is harvesting spikes.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM

dont worry about it that just goes to show the control you have and how trigger happy they are....i know alot of folks that go by "if its brown its down" and i just dont believe in that
couldn't have said it better myself.

Although late in the season and no tags filled i wouldnt hesitate to squeeze that trigger. You can't eat tag soup.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Good choice....Not easy to do.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting a legal animal is the individual's choice. If a person wishes to take a spike and it is legal then I say let him. If you opt to hold out for a more mature animal that is your right. But don't talk down a person for shooting a lesser animal. True you may not ever take a more mature animal when those all around you are shooting spikes and forkhorns but again, its your choice.
The only objection I have with this is when harvesting an anterless deer. If it is a button buck and the person can see it is one - they should not shoot.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same boat. I let the little guys walk but everyone around me has a if its brown its down mantality. I just know that if I let the little guy walk he has that much more of a chance to grow.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

You set an example by passing up the little guy. Maybe someone will take notice, keep it up. But as some have said, shooting a spike is legal, so if a hunter is satisfied with that, it's his/her choice.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Comes down to the individual's preference and priorities. I could care less about a big rack and much preferthe meat off a young animal. Would prefer to take a doe, but if i am pressed for time then the young buck is going down. On the other hand,my neighboris always after the big buck. He treats me very well, so I would be inclined to let any big mature buck pass, so thatfolks in his familywould have ashot at it.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

I always try to pass on the smaller ones. It has been working well for me thus far. Granted there's not a lot of pressure whereI am hunting. I have hunted the same place for about 7 years now and last year, I took a 12 point non-typical out of this place. I noticed this year, there's a 10 point with stickers all over that I am trying for this year. It's all a matter of personal preference though. Like everyone else has said, it all depends on what you're looking for.