HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Don't eat deer meat, its bad for you!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/272564-dont-eat-deer-meat-its-bad-you.html)

vabyrd 11-09-2008 06:15 AM

Don't eat deer meat, its bad for you!!

Guess the guy that did the study works for Barnes......

N. Dakota Warns About Lead in Wild Game Meat
Pregnant women and children younger than 6 years old shouldn't eat meat from wild game killed with lead bullets, North Dakota health officials warned after the release Wednesday of a study that looked at lead levels in the blood of more than 700 state residents.
The study, conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state health department, found that people who ate wild game killed with lead bullets appeared to have higher lead levels than those who ate little or no such meat, the Associated Press reported.
The study is the first to link traces of lead in wild game meat with higher levels of lead in the blood of people who eat the meat. Dr. Stephen Pickard, a CDC epidemiologist, said the study found "the more recent the consumption of wild game harvested with lead bullets, the higher the level of lead in the blood."
While the elevated lead levels associated with wild game meat weren't considered dangerous, North Dakota officials decided to issue the caution because unborn babies and young children are considered most at risk from lead poisoning, which can cause learning problems, convulsions and, in severe cases, brain damage and death.

jrbsr 11-09-2008 07:16 AM

RE: Don't eat deer meat, its bad for you!!

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Guess the guy that did the study works for Barnes......

N. Dakota Warns About Lead in Wild Game Meat
Pregnant women and children younger than 6 years old shouldn't eat meat from wild game killed with lead bullets, North Dakota health officials warned after the release Wednesday of a study that looked at lead levels in the blood of more than 700 state residents.
The study, conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the state health department, found that people who ate wild game killed with lead bullets appeared to have higher lead levels than those who ate little or no such meat, the Associated Press reported.
The study is the first to link traces of lead in wild game meat with higher levels of lead in the blood of people who eat the meat. Dr. Stephen Pickard, a CDC epidemiologist, said the study found "the more recent the consumption of wild game harvested with lead bullets, the higher the level of lead in the blood."
While the elevated lead levels associated with wild game meat weren't considered dangerous, North Dakota officials decided to issue the caution because unborn babies and young children are considered most at risk from lead poisoning, which can cause learning problems, convulsions and, in severe cases, brain damage and death.

First wheres your sorse?

And second, Could the lead in game animals be from the enviroment.
Like creeks, and streams, and rain water.
Where a lot of minerals including lead come from.
Water that flows over lead will pick up lead.
Its in the ground every where.
Even well,s have been tested for lead, and it is in well water too.

So to say that lead in game animals, is from hunters bullits is Dead wrong.

JMHO

1shotkill1993 11-09-2008 08:31 AM

theres no way that a single bullet could put that much lead into a single deer body.

rshunter32 11-09-2008 08:35 AM

I highly doubt that one lone bullet entering the vitals killing the deer could cause lead poisoning. I've been eating venison a long time and my wife and 6 yr old eat it too and we are fine. Just another tree hugger doing a study trying to put fear into us hunters.

Champlain Islander 11-09-2008 08:36 AM

I saw lots of info lately about that same subject.
http://mikehanback.typepad.com/mikehanbackcom/2008/03/alert-is-your-d.html

I use barnes TSX bullets (copper):D

ken3g 11-09-2008 09:01 AM

I hope you like paying high prices for copper cause it ain't cheep . I know , I work in plant that slits copper and brass and they make shore we don't use the 5 finger employee discount. There is ashortage they say.

vabyrd 11-09-2008 09:12 AM

Its the anti's at it again I think. I dont see how an animal even is shot dead in the heart could pump blood long enough with enough lead to do anything. And if the bullet goes all the way through, then what. I read about the california condor dying of lead poisoning from eating carcasses of "hunted" animals. What a bunch of chit.

mossberghunter93 11-09-2008 09:33 AM

i use copper sabots and carbon arrows:D

cave62 11-09-2008 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

Opposed to led arrows?

mossberghunter93 11-09-2008 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: cave62

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

Opposed to led arrows?
exactly lol:D