Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 deer shotguns - shot versatility >

deer shotguns - shot versatility

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer shotguns - shot versatility

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Default deer shotguns - shot versatility

Quick ?, can buckshot and birdshotbe used in a rifled shotgunbarrel. Or will it effect the grooves in the barrel and ultimately mess with the accuracy/trajectory when utilizing slugs? Also, what's a good sabot slug round cost at the average sporting goods store?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer shotguns - shot versatility

ORIGINAL: chuckp

Quick ?, can buckshot and birdshotbe used in a rifled shotgunbarrel. Or will it effect the grooves in the barrel and ultimately mess with the accuracy/trajectory when utilizing slugs? Also, what's a good sabot slug round cost at the average sporting goods store?

Sure, You can shoot bird or buckshot in a rifled barrel butit probably won'tshoot worth a damn and screw up the barrel. Go to your 'average sporting goods store" and buy at least 5 different sabots and see which shoots the best. Don't mess with the scope, just shoot for a group. If none of those shoot decent try others. Different guns shoot different slug better than others. Once you find a good sabot that shoots well out of your shot gun go buy some more of the and sight your gun in. I go as far as when I'm sighting in I buy slugs from the same lot number. The lot number is on the inside flap of the box. Just me but thats how I've always done it.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Probably won't hurt the barrel, but the pattern will be huge and horrible. Chokes are used for reason.

Paul
Old 11-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Steel shot could ruin your barrel twist and pattern for crap. Lead probably wouldn't hurt it, but you won't pattern either. There's a reason for chokes...as mentioned.

Get some slugs or sabots for your barrel and test them out to see what works best. That's the fun part of shooting anyway IMO...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Lead shotcertainly won't hurt a rifled barrel, but i agree to becareful about hevy or steel shot. When i was in my 20's me and some buddies were shooting bird shot out of my fully rifled slug gun and we had a ball! It was slinging itevery which way. You could clear aroom full of people with about 5 shots! The patterns were huge at close range.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

probaly would mess it up but i do shoot slugs out of a regular shotgun