HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Treestands and heigths??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/271967-treestands-heigths.html)

trkyhntr247 11-05-2008 12:43 PM

Treestands and heigths???

I have used many ladder stands, and they dont bother me, I have recently bought a tree lounge and have tried it a few times in the backyard, Its very solid and comfortable.
I tried it today and got up to about 15ft.
My problem is I have a fear of heigths; Would a lock on stand with a climbing stick be more secure feeling?? The one I like has a rail and sling seat by strong built.

Western MA Hunter 11-05-2008 12:46 PM

RE: Treestands and heigths???

I feel the most secure in my Sumitt Climber... I would rather be up higher in that than anything... usually up 20-25 feet in climber, if the trees will allow for it... lock on & ladders 15 to 18" max... I am less comfortable in them.

otsego4th 11-05-2008 02:36 PM

I have had a tree lounge for about five years and I usually go up about 30' with it and have no problem. but I dont mind hights. I have the bowhunter package on mine and stand on it all the time and I weigh about 250. No matter how high you go you need to have a good safty system.

Rebel Hog 11-05-2008 02:58 PM

I have had2 old style Tree Lounges for 13+ years and I always climb between 20 and 30 feet. I'm close to 70 and weight 225 pds.:)

trkyhntr247 11-05-2008 03:04 PM

Any suggestions on getting used to the heigth??

Rebel Hog 11-05-2008 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: trkyhntr247

Any suggestions on getting used to the heigth??
A good Safety Harness.:)

Z2lane 11-05-2008 05:31 PM

The more time that you spend up in the tree, the more confidence you will have. Be safe and wear your harness too.

wisbowhunter2009 11-05-2008 05:48 PM

like said above the more time you spend up there the more confident you'll be.. I have a climber thats 4 years old but i use it as a hang on, just put it up and use a nice 16 foot ladder...

allmightyhunter13 11-05-2008 05:59 PM

i used a climber ounce.. and didnt like them too well it was solid, but i use the gorilla kong hang on tree stand with 20 ft ladder... and instead of just sing the chain to tie it on.. we also use a ratchet strap so it really is solid!! hope it helps

trkyhntr247 11-05-2008 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: allmightyhunter13

i used a climber ounce.. and didnt like them too well it was solid, but i use the gorilla kong hang on tree stand with 20 ft ladder... and instead of just sing the chain to tie it on.. we also use a ratchet strap so it really is solid!! hope it helps
Thats what Im thinking of trying, I did sit in the stand at about 15ft again, It was a little better this time. I think the lock on would be quieter and easier when getting in too. If I use the climber it will remain on a tree on my lease, so i wont be packing it, theres still some noise with climbing.