Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestands and heigths???

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Treestands and heigths???

If you want to be a good bow hunter/deer hunter in general you can't be a ***** and afraid of heights. I like to be up 25-28ft for bow to make sure my scent stays off the ground. Why would you use a ladder to get into a hang on, it defeats the whole purpose. Be a man not a ***** and use screw in steps then take out the bottom few to make sure noone gets in your stand.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

For gun season, I screw a good sized utilityhook into the tree at the height and spot I want. I pull up the stand (Gorilla Kong XL) and set it onto the screw peg to support it while I attach the stand to the tree. I use a ratchet strap up near the top by the seat and another at the "grabbers". Before this all takes place, I attach my climbing sticks to the tree to a max height of 16'. Sometimes if I want to get a bit higher, I'll start the sticks out elevated a few feet and then place the stand at or around 20'. Also use a hook for placing calls, binocs, or whatever and I use an additional peg to use just for a hand grip to get in and out easier.

Don't forget your harness..
Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

I like to hunt at least 20ft or better becasue there less likely to wind you,
Also PLEASE do yourself a favor and take a rope 5-7 ft in leangth (pending how long your legs are) and tie it to both ends of the climber, that was worste case senario should your foot slip out of the bottom it wont fall to the bottom of the tree and you can still pull the bottom up by the rope and get down, verses being stuck in a tree you cannot climb out of untill help arives.
I have had this happen to me a few times and the rope saved me big time.
Good luck Hunting
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Spike

I have 2 tree lounge stands and I usually climb to 18 to 25 ft depending on my location. I have a 50 ft pull rope to pull my gun & bow up & sometimes will climb until I feel the tug of the gun or bow. Safest climbing stand I have ever been in. The only problem I have with it is it is too comfortable. When the wind starts to blow & the tree starts to sway I tend to fall asleep. Be sure to use your safety in any climbing stand!!!

Afteryou use it a few timesyou will learn not to rush your climb & you will find that you can be very quiet while climbing up or down.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

When I use ladder stands I'm about 10-16feet usually. I've got some Lock-on's and climber usually anywhere from 10feet up and my highest is 33feet, I go as high as the tree will let me..
Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM

use a harness. this obviously doesn't mean you can be careless but you at least know if something happens you are safe. i use a lock on stand and 2 ladder stands. i prefer the ladder ones, but both are very good.