Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands?? >

Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

My uncle has POSTED signs allllll over the property. they are all along the boundaries as well as at the heads of the tractor trails through the woods. some of them have been shot by shotgun but whatever. I'm gonna try the plexi-glass, see how that works out. ill let ya'll know and post up some pics.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Here in NJ stands are getting stolen on private property at an alarming rate.
Trail cams are getting stolen on private property too!
We have to go portable now.
Article fron Newjerseyhunter.com
I was out hunting Saturday on a new piece of property that only one other guy has permission to hunt. We put stands up two weeks ago-locked to the tree with cable locks. I got out of the stand at about 10:00, and started walking out. About 1/2 way through the woodlot to the highway, I catch movement and crouch to a knee think I had deer walking toward me-Then I saw the blue flannel.

I had a guy about 65 years old walking through the woods CARRYING BOLT CUTTERS!-and he was headed straight for my stand area! I stopped him, identified him, and reported him to the property owner, who told him the next time he gets caught-the cops get called.

Turns out this guy "always hunted this spot" and was "pissed the some johnny come lately hung a stand in his hunting area" the SOB never owned the property or have permission. He simply hunted there "always" The property owner has owned the land for 10 years-it was never hunted by anyone in that time--legally. The nerve of some people-If this guy was any younger I'm sure the cops would have been called. I guess you get some leeway when your older
Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 AM

I also live and hunt in Northeast Ohio and I learned from the North Vietnamese that Booby Traps are very effective !!!!!!!

NO------Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![>:][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 AM

He should have been arrested for trespassing-------period !!![:@]
Old 11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: NEOhioHunter

My uncle has a 120 acre cattle farm that has some great hunting spots. There are only a handful of people allowed to hunt there, and I know all of these people. Recently, we have been finding traces of other people hunting illegally on the property, and someone has been stealing stuff from my stand ( i had a bow hangar, and a rope to hoist my bow up into the stand) What's even better is that the whole property has a barb-wire fence surrounding it. I know people have been using my stands, and what I want to know is what is an easy way to secure my stand so that no one else can use it??? Please help.

I thought about putting a 6 foot piece of plexiglass over the bottom rungs and locking it with chain and a lock. Any thoughts?
Put a sign on it that says.
This stand is now booby trapped.
If you use it you could die.

Good Luck

See what happens next.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: USMCmailman

I also live and hunt in Northeast Ohio and I learned from the North Vietnamese that Booby Traps are very effective !!!!!!!

NO------Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![>:][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Semper Fi Devil
Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM

make a scare crow that looks realistic from a distance and put it in the stand then they might not jack with it.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

One of my ladder stands on my sister in law's property is actually 4' onto a neighbor's property that I have permission to hunt on . Instead of bolting the foot platform in place , I drilled a hole through that and the frame and ran a long shank lock through the holes .
The only problem I had with that is someone took the clip pins out that hold the ladder sections together . I put some bolts in there last week .............