Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands?? >

Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Spike

Default Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

My uncle has a 120 acre cattle farm that has some great hunting spots. There are only a handful of people allowed to hunt there, and I know all of these people. Recently, we have been finding traces of other people hunting illegally on the property, and someone has been stealing stuff from my stand ( i had a bow hangar, and a rope to hoist my bow up into the stand) What's even better is that the whole property has a barb-wire fence surrounding it. I know people have been using my stands, and what I want to know is what is an easy way to secure my stand so that no one else can use it??? Please help.

I thought about putting a 6 foot piece of plexiglass over the bottom rungs and locking it with chain and a lock. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

haha the plexi glass sounds like a good iade although im not sure if it would work or not.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Spike

When they get high enough, kick them in the head!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great alternate use for a game camera, as long as it doesn't have a flash, and is set up in a well concealed spot high up in an adjacent tree. Get a picture of the culprit and take it to the Sheriffs office.

Mike

Old 11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe buy a portable stand next year and use screw in pegs, and remove the bottom couple of pegs. They can still get in if they bring there own but its a deterrant, not to mention there harder to spot then ladder stands.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Spike

yea I thought about putting my old camera up there on a nearby tree. with a sign that says "feels nice to have your picture taken doesn't it?" haha
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would omit the sign. If they know that their picture has been taken, they'll probably destroy the camera. They don't need to know about the camera until the Sheriffs deputy is putting on the 'cuffs.

Mike
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Spike

I liked the plexi glass idea. I would probably sit in a concealed place with a view of the stand and when someone climbs up, I would call the game warden. The camera thing only works if you can recognize the person... otherwise you just have a picture of some guy.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the cushion and put thumbtacks in it. When you go to use the cushion, flip it over, but when you leave, flip it to where the thumbtacks are pointing upwards. That will most likely be the last time they sit in your stand.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glue razor blades to the side rails.[:@]

Quick Reply: Any Tips on how to keep others out of my ladder stands??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.