Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nikon BDC Reticle?????

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Nikon BDC Reticle?????

Hey guys,

I have been thinking of getting a new scope and have seend these being advertised like crazy...My question is does anyone out there have one or have you used one??? Also just wondering if it would work very well with my 25/06 encore???

Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nikon BDC Reticle?????

Yes they work, but I prefer the burris dash marks to the little circles of the nikon. You cant take it out of the box and trust it. You still need to practice with it to see where the marks land on your rifle/load. I have the burris on my smokeless muzzeloader, and with my load the zero is 150 yds, first dash is 190 yds, the second is 250, third is 290ish. I ain't much good past that with a ML, but the bottom post could be used as a 330 yd marker on a paper target, because my accuaracy is gone by then. I've been thinking about getting one for my 270, but I can judge the holdover off the deer to 400 yds and I cant shoot well enough to try past that anyway.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one to top off my 26/06 earlier this year, I went with the 5-20X44 Monarch.....It is a nice clear scope but that will be a good scope for hunting if you have long shots, I mainly use this gun for target shootingand the reticle is a bit too thick for smalltargets at long ranges, tend to cover the bullseye at 300 yds plus....Like I said, this is a great scope for hunting deer sized game but I will likely move this scope to my .270 that I mainly hunt with whenI gun hunt and buy a monarch with the target reticle for my 25/06.....
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, the BDC is nice, but not needed. I shot a 7mm Rem Mag. At 300 yds, with a 200 yd zero, im hitting less then 3" low. I dont need to shoot farther then that. So is it needed, no, nice hell yea. It is a fast reticle for sure.