Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buck Fever...is there a cure?!? >

Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

look at the rack just long enough to judge it not to take a picture. tell yourself you can make the shot and repeat the saying, cool, calm, and collective. this helps me greatly
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

dthunterinla:Well, I lost my first buck to buck fever this past weekend. Had a beautiful 8 point walk out about 100 yards away, and suddenly, it seems I lost the ability to shoot straight! I had him lined up, my heart was beating like trip hammer!! The scope was jumping everywhere, just a big mess. After the shot, I looked for 1 1/2 hours and found nothing. No blood, no hair, zilch. I need some advice guys and gals, what in the world can I do to calm down some so I can make the shot? This has never happened before, I've always been excited, but calm to make the shot. Maybe the fact it was the first 8 point I've ever seen? Advice?

same think happend to me but mine was a doe...when i was about to shoot i jerked up and over & amost pulled the trigger but i didnt than i got back on her put the crosshairs on her chest pulled the trigger gently and found no blood how do i cure this espesially on a doe last year i missed 5 times b4 i killed a deer while practising this year i was dead on how do i calm myself down when that big stud steps my way?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

if you see a buck and you its a buck that you want to shoot, thats all you should look at the horns!!!! what i do is pick the spot where i want to shoot em, and i watch that spot the whole time pretty much... wokrs good for some people.. but hey everyone does their own thing just gotta find what it..
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

If you miss on the first shot , your body goes from super nervous excitement to a sick mad depressed fealing .
So if your lucky enough for a second shot your usualy calmer .
If I get a shot at a nice buck , something I figure is big enough by my standards to soot ,I always calm myself by thinking , Dont mess this up , take a god aim . and squeeeezzzeee the trigger and aim at the vitals .

Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

There is only one cure. Gotta have more Cowbell, Baby!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dhunterinla

Well, I lost my first buck to buck fever this past weekend. Had a beautiful 8 point walk out about 100 yards away, and suddenly, it seems I lost the ability to shoot straight! I had him lined up, my heart was beating like trip hammer!! The scope was jumping everywhere, just a big mess. After the shot, I looked for 1 1/2 hours and found nothing. No blood, no hair, zilch. I need some advice guys and gals, what in the world can I do to calm down some so I can make the shot? This has never happened before, I've always been excited, but calm to make the shot. Maybe the fact it was the first 8 point I've ever seen? Advice?
Just go back and do it again.
Maybe next time you will be calmer.

Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Spike

I don't try to count the points .I can look at the antlers once to determine if it's a decent buck.Then i focus on a spot on the deer to shoot. Breath deeply to calm yourself.