Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Buck Fever...is there a cure?!? >

Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Well, I lost my first buck to buck fever this past weekend. Had a beautiful 8 point walk out about 100 yards away, and suddenly, it seems I lost the ability to shoot straight! I had him lined up, my heart was beating like trip hammer!! The scope was jumping everywhere, just a big mess. After the shot, I looked for 1 1/2 hours and found nothing. No blood, no hair, zilch. I need some advice guys and gals, what in the world can I do to calm down some so I can make the shot? This has never happened before, I've always been excited, but calm to make the shot. Maybe the fact it was the first 8 point I've ever seen? Advice?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

we all would be lying if we havent had buck fever and if we havent had buck fever screw us on getting a deer. you just will have to learn from it. one way i control it is by constantly thinking and playing it out in my head before and while i am hunting. good luck. just hang in there.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM

Just make sure you take deep breaths and calm yourself down. And if it helps only look at the horns once, and act like it is a doe the rest of the time.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

do what my dad tells me just tell your self its a doe and dont focus on the antlers just look at its chest and slowly squeeze the trigger unless using a shotgun
Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Take deep breathes and try to have some type of rest to shoot from. That's the only thing I know to do.

By the way, the day I stop getting "Buck Fever" will be the day I stop hunting. Good Luck!!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't look at the antlers again after I see its a shooter. I pick out one small spot or hair on the deer and aim for that.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well there are different degree's of buck fever and I hope I never loose that rush ...but if you need some help a Qualude might help IF you can find one

dd
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL

If anyone tells you they have never had buck fever they are either lying or have never had a shot at a buck.

Take your time when you get that shot. I heard someone's advice once that I have actually used to repeat "crunch time" or "pick a spot" or something like that to try to focus yourself on the shot and not the antlers in front of you. Alot of times you feel very rushed to make the shot. SLOW DOWN and take you time. BREATH. Focus on the shot as if it weren't a big buck or even a deer. Imagine a target on thier side if you need to. Do not rush the shot. If you are not steady your gonna miss or worse, wound the animal and make it suffer.

It is one of the coolest feelings IMO. Buck fever gets everyone or should. but learning to control it or deal with it until after the shot is the deal. I'm a mess after I know the buck is down. Its commical even to me. Once Isee the deer is down or I no longer have a shot and I know its down, I couldn't make another shot untill I calm down. But I get that with does too.

I took a boy hunting with me last year in my stand. He'd never killed a buck but had gotten one doe. He had my gun and had a half raked buck come up and stand broadside at 30-35 yards for a couple minutes. I kept telling him to get his gun up. He was frozen and never moved until the deer took off. I still call himMr. Freeze. I'll try again this year maybe we can get him a deer. Maybe even a buck.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Remember to breathe. This is one of the most important things you can do to ease the "Buck Fever". Most people see a buck while hunting and start breatheing less and short puffs, and some even stop unknowingly by holding their breath. Hard to quit shaking when your body needs air. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

shoot shoot shoot. Know you can make the shot no matter what. Learn to relax your breathing. That is what throws most shots off. Learn to shoot through distraction and noise. In some of our shooting classes we have to learn to shoot with noise going on around and things moving down the range to throw us off. Another thing to practice is sprint up to your gun then take the shot, forcing yourself to shoot hile out of breath. All these will help. Buck fever is a great thing and it is what makes hunting worth it, however you need to learn to shoot through it.
-Jake

Quick Reply: Buck Fever...is there a cure?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.