Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where Would You Put Ground Blind? >

Where Would You Put Ground Blind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where Would You Put Ground Blind?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Where Would You Put Ground Blind?

My dad picked up a new ground blind over the summer at a garage sale. It is an Ameristep G-10 Pop-Up Blind. Not the best blind out there but for getting it new and in the box for $10 it was worth it. With shotgun opener coming up on the 15th I am trying to thinking of places to set up good spots for the blind. We only hunt on 45 acres so we have a limited amount of space. We have several stands already set up but I want to use the blind to set up in a few new places. I have in mind a few places I want to set up but I was wondering if everyone could give me some extra advice.

Here are two ariel photos of our property. The first one is the field that we have planted our food plots in. The yellow areas are the food plots. The red lines are deer travel areas. Green dots are stand sites. The second photo is of our property. Let me know what you think.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where Would You Put Ground Blind?

Here is the second photo.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Here is a hopefully a better image of the first one.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet would be to set it up somewhere inconspicuous. If it looks out of place to you, more than likely it will to a deer also. And camo it well. I use a Doghouse blind when I go blind hunting. I carry it in with me on my back and once it's set-up, I camo it pretty good so it's not as easily noticed.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

I set mine in a high spot in our field in between two points. I used big cedar branches to brush it in. If you let it sit out for about a week they will get used to it.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

No matter what it is always better to have it set-up at least a week ahead of time for deer. They will be spooked the first time they see but they get used to it.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

i build mine permanetly out of logs branches sticks dirt and some grass for some spice and bang you got a good natural ground blind that you aint got to worry about spraying down with scent blocker. Also your going to want to refresh the wood and stuff every so often

Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would place a ground blind near something that breaks it up a bit but is at the edge or in the open.

You did not say but I am assuming that you bow hunt judging by how close your existing stands are to trails. If you gun hunt, move back with your ground blind. 100 yards is still a reasonable shot with a smooth bore slug gun. Set up 50 to 70 yards from where you think the deer will be.

I gun hunt and use just a stool in some light cover. My spots are things like an isolated cedars or weed patches at least 50 yards from where I expect the deer to travel. The ideal spot give shots in more than one direction. I pick the exact location based on the day's wind direction.

Bob

Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM

i would post up on the edge of woods by a thicket or corn field
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

I would place a ground blind near something that breaks it up a bit but is at the edge or in the open.

You did not say but I am assuming that you bow hunt judging by how close your existing stands are to trails. If you gun hunt, move back with your ground blind. 100 yards is still a reasonable shot with a smooth bore slug gun. Set up 50 to 70 yards from where you think the deer will be.

I gun hunt and use just a stool in some light cover. My spots are things like an isolated cedars or weed patches at least 50 yards from where I expect the deer to travel. The ideal spot give shots in more than one direction. I pick the exact location based on the day's wind direction.

Bob

Wow I completely forgot about my own post until I saw it today. You picked one of the spots exactly where we set the ground blind up. The "X" that is the furthest south in the field is where we set it up. Actually all of our stands are so close to deer trails because in the woods, because of the timber and the lay of the land you really cannot see much further than 100 yards in either direction. Also for shotgun season I hunt with a Rem 870 Wingmaster smoothbore with a bead sight. The closer they are the better.

Where we set the blind up has beena perfect spot so far. On opening day my dad almost got a shot off on a buck who was coming through the food plot right in front of it, but he was moving through pretty quick. The spot is great because in the evening the sun sets behind the cedar tree it is next to. It almost disapears in the shadow. So far the spot has been great. We will hopefully get a deer from the spot in muzzleloader season.

Quick Reply: Where Would You Put Ground Blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.