Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Does Watching Deer Hunting Shows >

Does Watching Deer Hunting Shows

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does Watching Deer Hunting Shows

Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does Watching Deer Hunting Shows

i listen to how they call one in mostly... i wish they would do some public ground hunting but you'll never see that.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 AM

I don't think they help at all. They are just entertainment for me.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO whatching most hunting shows doesn't help you get better. Maybe if you've never hunted before. But they also do thing I don't agree with especialy for a beginner. One major one is talking alot....They make it seem like you can make all kinds of noise.

There may be information here and there that you get from them. but whatch a couple shows and you pretty much got all their tips. Hunting shows are entertainment and for me kinda fill a gap when I can't get to the woods.

However, I'm getting really tired of most hunting shows because they push som much crap you don't need. When I was just starting out I fell for alot of this (and they werent as bad as now) I tried every gadget and gizmo they pushed on me. I wasted alot of money. After a few yearsI smartened up and ignored it. I went along time without watching hunting shows and now watch them when I'm bored and can't go hunting.

Oh on a side note a pet peev of mine is when they show them shoot or just about to shoot and cut to a commercial. Show the hunt!! Also music over top of the hunt. Don't know about you but I've never had a music score build while I was getting reay for a shot or even after. I did laugh at Micheal Waddels comercial though.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM

The Hunters Specialties guys are helpful and a hand full of others. At least the Drury guys hunt they're own properties. If we all had that much time to hunt anyone could kill a big deer every year.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM

Does watching football make you Peyton Manning?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM

I watch for both entertainment and educational reasons. Do I learn something new each and every time...No! But if you watch them enough, there a little things you can pick up here and there they may be beneficial.

The are a fewexceptions to the above.Quality Whitetails Television, Get In The Game, and The Management Advantageare always good for learning new things from land management, herd management, hunting tactics and techniques, general information about about game species, etc. These types of shows are geared more towards informing rather than just filming someones hunt whether it be in a high-fenced area or fairchase.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

The short answer is no they don't help at all. Some shows aren't even informative at all, they are killing shows.

There is one exception, Deer and Deerhunting TV. They take a closer look at stuff like shot placement and management. Usually Charlie Alshimer (sp?) has some really in depth knowledge about deer biology and management. Sometimes he goes into a little too much depth, but for the most part he gives really awesome information.

The other shows do what everyone else has said and sell products. I just love it when a show starts with "We are here at such and such outfitters where they have giant bucks all over the place." Then they show you footage of 10 huge bucks that they passed on because they wanted something with a wider spread. Who hunts on their own land and has that happen to them on a regular basis.

I like the shows that give you a little back story to the hunt and will even show a kid take a doe. To me that is real hunting.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get much information from a "Pro Hunter" when he's carted out to a outfitters ranch and hunting the way he does. His success is for some reason alot higher than mine........go figure.Put them in the same woods I hunt and they wouldn't be near as good hunters.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Spike

Personally I have gotten to the point that I can't watch them any more. It just pisses me off to see the same people traviling the world shooting 20 or more deer a year. Hunt to eat not to have a bragging right. Most of these shows unintintually increase the number of hunters breaking the law by taking more than their bag limit. Well, that is just my opinion. I also feel that they are a major reason for the rise in cost of hunting leases and the reason people have to pay to hunt on someone elses property in the first place(when my dad was stationed up in the Iowa area 25 years ago all we had to do is go up to the farmers house and ask, now he wants $$$). Thanks alot "on" hunting shows and outfitters.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: kingofspring

Does watching football make you Peyton Manning?
lmao, couldn't have said it better. We must realize that these shows are sponsor-driven and paid for. Take most of them for what they're worth - entertainment. Personally, I enjoy turkey hunting shows and even elk hunting (though I've never been) more than deer hunting due to the skill of calling involved.

Edit: I've always wanted the bowhunting shows to show on an ariel or map where the stand is relative to bedding, food, trails, buck sign, prevailing wind etc. Explain why they choose a particular stand. In my eyes this would give many "Pros" more credibility as skilled deer/bowhunters, instead of coming off as company spokesmen, as many, many do these days.

Quick Reply: Does Watching Deer Hunting Shows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.