Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sick Deer

Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 AM

Default Sick Deer

I saw a doe last night that you could see every bone in her body. She also had poop looked like she had the runs all over her butt and the back of her legs. This is in Missouri and its the only one I have seen like this so far. Just wondering if anybody else has seen anything like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default RE: Sick Deer

Sounds like a possible case of CWD!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

If you see her again you need to shoot her and take her in to have her tested for sure. I'd be careful how you handle her after you shoot her. You might just kill her and have the DNR come out and get her. They will definitely want to see her and test her for sure. I would kill her the first chance you get.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 AM

Well she was at ten yards broad side and I did think about shooting her to take her out of her misery but I didn't want to mess with a doe on a week night. But I will probably go ahead and take her out if I see her again. thanks for the input.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

I'd be careful after you shoot her and just call them and tell them where you are and what you think and they will come out and pick her up for sure. That way you can save a tag too.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Yeah, I know the conservation agent pretty well and he lives down the road from where I hunt so I'm going to call him and talk to him about it.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found a deer once that had an abcess in her mounth. Not sure what caused it but she starved to death. Her jaw was somewhat swollen but she couldn'teat for sure because of the infection.

Hopefully it not CWDeither way I'd check with the conservation officer and ask him what you should do before shooting her. They may want you not to kill her though I'm not sure why. You just never know. Talk with them first to be on the safe side.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Spike

Two years ago I saw a doe that was very very skinny and could hardly walk. I shot her with my bow to put her out of her misery. She had a large knot on her jaw and the jaw looked like it had been broken.They said that itlooked like she had possibly been hit by a car and broke her jaw then got an infection and she could not eat. They did offer me another tagso mine wouldn't be wasted.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Why is it every time someone mentions a possible sick deer, people think it must have CWD? I'm not sure many people even understand whatCWD even is.Deer get sick and die every single day, and have since there have been deer on this planet. CWD is not new, and it's not the end of the whitetail species.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM

I didn't say it was CWD but she did have one sign of it,and its not the end of deer but if it is CWD it can hurt the deer heard. I know that there haven't been any CWD cases in Missouri yet, but I know she was not doing good. So I'm just seeing what everyone thinks.

Quick Reply: Sick Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.