Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone ever resole their hunting boots? >

Anyone ever resole their hunting boots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone ever resole their hunting boots?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone ever resole their hunting boots?

*(I put this in the bowhunting section too - hoping to get a response)

I have a pair of Rocky Bear Stalkers that are about 10yrs old....the uppers are still in great shape, and they are very comfortable. For some reason the sole has begun to deteriorate and just fall off in spots. ???

I usually don't bowhunt out of these (I have rubber lacrosse), but do use them alot later in the season so I was thinking about getting them resoled. Anyone ever have it done? Suggestions? Recommendations? Ideas?

I would keep them as backups after that (probably use them as work boots/snow boots mostly) and get a new pair strictly for hunting.I just hate to pitch em if I can get em resoled for $50 or something. I've had great success over the years using my "hunting" boots only for hunting, I normally get 9-10yrs out of them. Never had a sole fall apart like these did. Can't complain though...10yrs and plenty of use.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever resole their hunting boots?

I've had Rocky boots do that. Call and send them back. Have you been in any type of oild, Hyd fluid etc. that wil;l rot Rocky's. I also had em' go bad on the pegs of my quad. Throw em' away or get Rocky on the horn. PS I like Rocky boots light, comfy somewhat waterproof. they just are expensive and not made well.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

BH....I can say for 100%, no I have never had them in any type of fluid/oil, etc. I can see that happening, as they are fairly soft soles compared to other boots. I've had them 10yrs, and ONLY worn them hunting...and not much ATV use either. I feel they are a GREAT boot, this is the 3rd pair I've had since the mid 80's...never had a problem with any of them.

I will call Rocky and see if they have any suggestions, but honestly I'm not looking for my money back or a new pair. I feel I got my money's worth. Hopefully I can find somewhere that will resole them for a fair price, they are still good boots and will make a great backup.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Look in sporting goods stores for something called Shoe Goo. It is a glue-like stuff in a tube that I have used to get a little more life out of running shoes. If you can't get them re-soled, try this before you throw them out.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM

I've got the same problem with the same "model" of boot... Rocky Bear Stalkers... two other guys in our lease wear Rocky boots and BOTH of them have the same problem with theirs too. Mine are only 4 years old and are not wearable this year at all (unless I want to walk like I have a few tree-limbs crammed up my... er... never mind). One guy this year switched to Muck boots, so we'l see how those fare.

I sent mine to get re-soled but haven't picked them up yet. The cobbler I sent them to says he's done several hundreds of pairs of Rocky boots.. he says the clay in Ga is more acidic than in other places and the soft soles of the Rocky boots just don't hold up well with the acid content in the clay. We'll see how they stack up once I get them back... and whether or not I try a different manufacturer next season.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM

I love my rocky boots, but have had the same problem with 2 pairs....I guess it is time to finda different brand.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

You can't get them resoled because the sole is glued on not stitched.

Rockys are made in China. The quality has drastically deteriorated in the past 5-10 years. They are made to be worn and thrown away.

Get a pair of Danner stitchdown's and you will haveboot that will last and can be refurbished. The last pair of Danner Acadias I had lasted from 1988 till 2007. Those boots were my primary turkey and early season deer hunting boots and I loved them. I replaced them with an identical pair. I kept them reasonably clean and used Danner boot dressing at least once, sometimes twice, yearly.

Danners are pricey but well worth it in my opinion. They are starting to outsource the production of some of their boots in China so make sure you are buying one of their American made models. Acadia and Pronghorn are two of my favorites.

A good friendand hunting buddy of mine was VP of sales for Rocky boots. He left the company recently because of his frustration with the loss of quality and is starting his own brand. He ised togive my Dad two pair of boots each time he came hunting with us and none of those boots lasted longer than 2-3 years.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

mouthcaller, tell your buddy to start making boots for the big guys and he will make mint. Insoles of titanium like the rebok tennis shoe to hold our arches up and intact. Sizes for men , not women and into the 15-16 range. I love the Rocky for sneaking and walking nice and light, but the soles suck. I thought they were built in Puerto Rice myself. Dosen't matter , think of the big guys for a market on boots.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

You can't get them resoled because the sole is glued on not stitched.
MC....theyactually are stitched on. Maybe the newer models are glued on. I may get them resoled because they are still in good shape other than that. Anyone have anidea what it costs to resole a pair?

Thanks for all the replies here...apparently this has become a problem, but like I said, I feel I've gotten my money's worth overall. 10yrs is a pretty long time, and they have definitely gotten some use.

Thanks
-Mike