Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about dogs and deer

Old 10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default question about dogs and deer

I just got a labrador retriever for my daughter and i live on the property that i hunt and was wondering what kind of affect will it have on my deer and their movement, i plan on keeping the dog put up at night but it will be loose all day what do you guys think about this.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM

Default RE: question about dogs and deer

My folks have 2 full grown labs that run free at all times other than when we are in the woods huntin. Haven't had a problem with them chasin any deer day or night, they typically stay out of the woods unless they are followin you. One of them had a little run in with a bobcat one night so I think they know better now.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

it should be just fine. keep an eye on it for yotes though!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Spike

A guy down the road had 2 last year that he keep up at night and turned loose it the day. I saw them running deer(but not barking) pass my stand most every day the first week of gun season and once they even came and stood under my stand and looked up at me. But at the end of the first week I heard two shots to the north of me and I never saw the dogs again.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

the deer will adapt and over come
Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

For years my parents had an old beagle runing loose around their place. It ranged a lot further than i would expect to see a lab do. However, one of my dad's best hunting spots was a stand about 250 yards from their front porch. I wouldn't loose any sleep ovr it unless you have a stand literally in your backyard.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mature buck, when they know the hunt is on, will often take refuge in backyard brush, etc., as we all know. They will particularly use dogs as a security blanket, especially leashed,penned, or fenced dogs. The barking can act as a first alert for the buck. Unless the dog is actively CHASING the deer around there, shouldn't be an issue, and in fact. may be a plus!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would install one of the underground electric fences that lightly shocks the dogs thru the collar when they try to cross the area. Just fence in an acre or so for the pup and you won't have to worry.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have had Hog Dogs and Deer Dogs for 45+ years and always kept them in their pens. I have always had a farm Dog, buttaught to not roam to far from the house he was always on the back porch and followed us when we can out around the farm....He protected the house andfarm animals and wasnot a hunter...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have seen the dogs and deer eat and play together. these deer where wild and not tame

Quick Reply: question about dogs and deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.