Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Public land Hunting????????

Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
nap

Default Public land Hunting????????

Me and my dad go up to Onida county Wisconsin and we have a deer camp with a bunch of friends. We don't own any land up there so we go one the hundreds of acres that are public land. So my question is..... Do you hunt on public land? do you have any susses? How do you choose where to go? Thanks for reading.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Public land Hunting????????

Hey ,I hunt both private and public land and have done well on both. See the pics of my last buck on the Gut Shot???? Got Him!!! Heres the pics. I shot him on public land about a mile from my home. I think the trick with public land is to find the unpressured places, or if its like northern lower Michigan and there seems to be a hunter under every tree, find the places that no one else will go. Thick nasty with no roads. Most guys dont care to walk miles to there stand or through the thick stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
nap

very nice buck
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks, Somthing I like to do is look at arial photos to see if I can find areas that arnt easyly accessable.I use terraserver-usa.com for photos.I also like to look at plate maps that show public from private lands to find areas of public land that are small or surrounded by private,places most hunters over look. Scout as much as possible.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt strictly public land and usually kill 4 or more deer a year.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
nap

Do you put out any bait or anything
Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM

I hunt public land in Huntsville, TX....The woods are very thick here in East Texas, so it is a challenge. The spot I have picked out this year will only give me a 40yrd. shot at the most. I am hunting from a ground blind.I am hunting from a ground blind.I have had success in the past, but have shot nothing great.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would never hunt public land here in virginia. most people here are sooo dumb. ive had friends get shot at with a .22 before daylight while walking to there stands. the idiots shoot at sound. i hate public land here. no offense to anyone when i say most people are dumb here
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nap

Do you put out any bait or anything
illegal to bait on public land here in Florida
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 AM

It is also illegal to bait on public land in Texas.I look for well used trails, scrapes, rubs, dropping and food sources and set up there. I do most of my scouting in Feb. All the leaves are gone from the trees so you can see more and all the deer sign from the season that just ended is still fresh and easy to find.

Quick Reply: Public land Hunting????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.