HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Core-lokts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/269967-core-lokts.html)

Hauntedwinter 10-25-2008 07:55 PM

Core-lokts

Hey everyone. Got a slight prob. Is there such a thing as being too close for rifle use? Last year, I was using 150 gn. Core-Lokts in my 30-06. 7 pointer walked out about 45 yards from me. Took the shot broadside just behind the shoulder and he went down instantly. Got to him and realized there was no exit wound. Started field dressing taking paticular notice to the area where the bullet entered. As i was field dressing, I noticed something very interesting. Even though the bullet made impact midsection behind the shoulder, the spine was completely blown apart. Would explain why he went down so fast. Also, I could not find ANY part of this bullet. Its like it disintegrated upon impact. I looked at the lungs and NO holes in them. This is the first time I used Core-Lokts and I dont know what to think after what it did to this animal. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

nchawkeye 10-25-2008 08:11 PM

RE: Core-lokts

Bullets are made to perform best within a certain velocity...The faster a bullet goes, the faster it mushrooms, or in your case fragments...Now, take that same bullet and hit a deer at extreme long range like 500 yards and the opposite might happen, it isn't going fast enough to mushroom at all...

Now, if you are a woods hunter and a long shot in your area is 100 yards, you might want to go with the 180gr CoreLokt...What you have done is decrease your velocity with a heavier bullet, which will give you exits on close shots...

Frankly, I wouldn't change...I've killed over 85 deer with the 100gr CoreLokts out of my .243...I've also see the type wound you are talking about in other calibers with close range shots with a variety of different bullets...A deer hit in the lungs that close won't go far...In addition, by hitting bone (the spine) the problem was compounded which made the bullet fragment...

I shot a buck one evening from about 25 feet...I was using a 85gr HPBT going about 3320fps...I hit the deer square in the lungs, no exit, but there was blood at the spot where he stood...He didn't go 25 yards before he fell...

Hauntedwinter 10-25-2008 08:25 PM

I agree with what you are saying 100%. Just seemed strange to place the bullet for a perfect lung shot and the spine tears up. I live in North Carolina so most of my hunting will be no more than 100 yards. Some guys from work and myself are planning to go to Pisgah national forest next month for gun season. Hoping my shots will be a little more distance. I got rid of the 30-06 and now have a Savage 7mm Rem Mag with 150 gn core-lokts. Will see what happens. Thank you for your quick response.

JagMagMan 10-25-2008 11:13 PM

With no exit wound, you should have found something! At that range, a fragile bullet would probably fragment. A bullet that is too heavily constructed maynot expand, but if that were the case, it would have exited. The Core-Loct's are neither too light or too heavy, so my guess would be that the bullet stayed intact and deflected to some part of the deer. Had it fragmented, surely you would have found damage and bullet fragments.
Core-Locts are about the best off the shelf, "regular" hunting bullets.

nralover 10-26-2008 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Hauntedwinter

I agree with what you are saying 100%. Just seemed strange to place the bullet for a perfect lung shot and the spine tears up. I live in North Carolina so most of my hunting will be no more than 100 yards. Some guys from work and myself are planning to go to Pisgah national forest next month for gun season. Hoping my shots will be a little more distance. I got rid of the 30-06 and now have a Savage 7mm Rem Mag with 150 gn core-lokts. Will see what happens. Thank you for your quick response.
I am puzzled as to why you got rid of the .30-06? The 7mm isn't a ton flatter shooting than the .30-06 using 150 grain bullets. How far do you think you might be shooting?

nchawkeye 10-26-2008 05:50 AM

That's how it starts...

Guy kills a deer, feels like he didn't have enough gun...Blames the gun, scope, bullet, barometer, weather and his girl friend...

Next thing you know, he's shooting a .358 Magnum WopperStopper...Can't hit a basketball at 50 yards with it, but everyone
knows you "Can't killl them too dead" and you of course "Need to use enough gun"...

He would have been better off keeping the gun he had and learning how to use it...

In this case, other bullet options were avaliable...Nosler Partitions are good for closer shots...150, 165 and 180gr weights are
also avaliable...

One deer doesn't tell a hunter much...I shoot 6-8 deer before I form any firm opinions on a deer bullet...

Instead of a 7mm Magmum, you would have been better off moving to a 7mm-08...It shoots the same diameter and weight bullet as
the 7mm, but at a slower velocity so you don't have the problem of a bullet fragmenting at closer ranges...

The 30-06 is one of the best deer rounds out there...There is no need for a 7mm Mag for our deer down here in NC...It causes bad habits...

homers brother 10-26-2008 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

That's how it starts...

+1

PABuck_HNTR 10-26-2008 06:23 AM

Personally I would have kept the .06, but that's your business. I too think the Core Lokt bullets are the best inexpensive bullets made. I have used them with great results in everything I shot them in. 30-30 .243 .270 30-06. .308 and 7mm08. All worked as advertised. All killed deer and all went through the deer and exited.

skybuster20ga 10-26-2008 07:34 AM

i have killed many big bucks small bucks and anything inbewtween w/ corel9okts my whole life. my whole family has in everything from 32 specail 243 308 3006 35 whelen 350 mag and they all kill fast. when i started reloading i was lokoing or expecting major differances in on game performance but i didnt notice anything. dead was dead and they almost always dropped in their tracks. i like corelokt ammunition myself and will be using it here soon! good luck w/ the 7 mil!

CamoCop 10-26-2008 08:27 AM

i've never been a big fan of Remington bullets. i use Federals and have never been disappointed. i shoot 117 grain (Sierra Game Kings) Federal Premiums with my .25-06 and have always had through and throughs. i have shot deer with this set up at 20 feet to 200 yards pushing that round at over 3,000 feet per second and never had fragmentation. it's all about bullet construction.