Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun for my son??

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Spike

Default Gun for my son??

I am looking for some feedback. My son is 13 years old and will be hunting gun season next year. I want to get him his 1st gun for christmas. What should I get him? I am thinking a rifle such as .243, .270, .308.Thank you for helping me out.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gun for my son??

I would look at .243, .25-06, or 7mm-08,....and if he can handle a little more kick, a .270. I seriously think you want to start out on the lower end of that spectrum with him....making it something fun to shoot quite often with very little recoil....even if he's a bigger kid. None of my biz, but I would recommend a bolt gun or at least a lever or pump action for him. Have yet to meet a kid under 16 that should've been toting an auto....JMO.

Just bought my 9-1/2 yr. old a Rossi combo pair with single shot break action barrels in .410 & .22 LR. Let the fun begin.

I personally love the ballistics, energy, and ease of recoil from my 7-08, and I know my son's got his eyes on it for when he gets there in 2 more years.

Good luck this year. I'll be upnear the Chip Falls/Eau Claire area next month for gun season.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Spike

thanks for the feed back, He will definately be a bolt. Does 7-08 less recoil than .243?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BigKoz

thanks for the feed back, He will definately be a bolt. Does 7-08 less recoil than .243?
From my experience, it's very similar...almost negligible. According to gun weight, load, etc...it'll be different from gun to gun and load to load.

Here's a good guide to go by: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Notice the 7-08 pushes (on average) about 40% more grain bullet weight than a typical whitetail .243 load..
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Spike

thanks for the site. Good luck this year. Hopeyourson enjoys the hunts!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Banned

I know the idea is to get him a gun that wont have a lot of recoil, but take this into consideration. Remington and Federal both make managed recoil loads in 30-06 and 270. I would suggest something chambered in either caliber. At 13, the managed recoil loads will fit the bill, and in a few years, he can go after some of the heavier stuff. He'll also never feel "under-gunned" with a lighter caliber. Plus you guys have some monsters up that way. It wont be long before he'll be able to handle the full power loads. Dang, a gun for Christmas...their is nothing better to find sitting under the tree. My only other piece of advice is to maybe look away from the entry level guns. Id stay away from the "packaged" remingtons and mossbergs. Get him a good one, and he'll be proud to hand it down to his son or daughter one day....

Old 10-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

How much experience shooting and how much he weighs wouldfactor in. I would look at the .270 if he has a good bit of experience. The Limbsaver recoil pads will tame a .270. My grandson started shooting my .270 when he was 13 at the riflerange.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

if you are looking to get him his first gun then I recommend the TC Pro Hunter if you have the cash. It will teach him good shot placement because knowing you only have one shot will make him take his time. Those guns are highly accurate and you can get them in just about any caliber.Plus you would only have to buy him different barrels instead of different guns. They make muzzleloader and turkey barrels for em too.I shot my buddy's 7mm-08 a few weeks ago and it kicked less than my 7mm-08. It has some type of recoil reduction in the buttstock. This gun is also light as a feather. I was watching wolrd of whitetails yesterday and larry Weishurn's grand kids were using pro-hunters. I would get him the 25-06 (.257) or the 7mm-08 if he can handle it. Then you could alway buy him the ole faithful 30-30. it was my first deer rifle and I still use it today. You could probably pick one up pretty cheap if you look aound.

Hope this helps,
Mack
Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

i got my first rifle when i was 12 and it is a .243 and i still shoot it and im 16. I love it cause in my area
Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

get him a .243...that was my first gun and i loved it. As he gets older and bigger get him a 30-06, great all-around gun. I would reccomend the ruger m77 version for him as they have a double-safety feature that i love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.