Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gun for my son??

Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun for my son??

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Come on now, you wouldnt give your boy a stock Glock versusa full house Dawson Custom STI now would you????

I still say either the 270 or 30-06 and shoot minor until he's ready to make major....

Ok, thats IPSC talk for the rest of you......
Started my stepson out with a S&W 559 9mm. One weekend, he asked if he could try my P14-45, and I never got it back. Went out and bought myself a P14-45 Limited. Those Dawson's are a bit pricey for my budget. My son is using an FEG clone of a Browning High Power... Maybe at some point, I'll get that Dawson and he'll get my limited...

The boys are young and fast... I've gotta keep them in minor as long as possible so I can remain competitive...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally hate a .243 for kids.They get nervous and make less than desirable hits at times.They just don't get the job done as well on MARGINAL hits imo as some other calibers.

My daughter hasshot a 7-08 for the last 2 years and she is now 14.This is an amazing caliber for kids especially.Deer expire quickly on marginal hits and the gun's recoil rival the .243 .She shoots an Encore with a sims pad and it works awesome.She uses 140 grain loads.

My son just turned 10 and has been using a Rossi .308 for 2 years now and deer go down immediately when hit with it.Get this,he doesn't like his sister's gun because it kicks too hard for him so that would mean the .308 kicks less,atleast in his mind it does.BUT,his loads are the 150 grain,not the 180's.

For the record,neither of my children are of a bigger build.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

ORIGINAL: nybuckboy

Bought my son a Ruger M77 in .243 bolt. Not the youth gun as it is not neccesary. It is a nasty little caliber and with a 100 gr bullet will more than do it's job on whitetail. I'm hoping to steal it a few times this yera myself.

What many have failed to mention is ammunition availability. You can probably find .243 ammo most anywhere where as 7m-08 or 25-06may not be as easy to find when you need it.
Never seen any "REAL" sporting goods store not carry 7mm-08 ammo, just my experiences.
Our Wal Mart carries the 7mm-08 loads
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with the .243 or 30-30. they are both great guns for youngsters to start with
Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

don't forget about a nice lever gun like a 30-30.. That being said it would either be that or a 7mm-08 which can be used for life with little recoil. The perfect whitetail round.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Spike

I bought a 9-year-old daughter a Remington Model 7 youth rifle in the 7mm-08 caliber. It is light, has very little kick, and will serve her well for many years to come.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I would start him off with a 243. You could get him a encore and as he gets older in can grow into other calibers.