Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand >

How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand

I've got a couple places to hunt this fall and have done my scouting work. The problem is, on the one tract of land, there are no good trees for climbing stands anywhere near where the deer are.

The only solution for my specific situation, as far as I can see, is to hunt from a long-needle pine tree. There's one (actually two growing together) that is ideally located. I've climbed it and broken off the little dead twigs that hinder getting up it. I've found a good perch that provides camouflage for me and yet allows good visibility.

But how am I going to make it comfortable enough to sit in the branches of a tree for hours on end?! There are no two branches the same height to throw a board across and I don't have room/permission to build a large stand in the tree.

Who has hunting from a tree like this in the past and what did you learn?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:36 PM

Default RE: How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand

The only advice i can give is Definitely WEAR A HARNESS! You could easily slip when you go to take a shot or you foot falls asleep or something...be safe and wear a harness, it could save your life.

-Brought to you by the Save a Hunter Foundation.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Have you ever tried to hunt on the ground? Believe it or not, many deer are killed without a treestand.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigwilly11189

The only advice i can give is Definitely WEAR A HARNESS!
I definitely plan to do so. I always wear a harness.

To get the conversation going, I was thinking about straddling a branch or two while facing toward the trunk and sitting on one of those round, orange/camo cushions designed to help keep you warmer by keeping you off the cold ground/chair.

I was also thinking about taking a ladder stand seat and trying to strap that in place across a couple of branches and using the cushion (above) to level out the different in height between branches.

Other ideas?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Have you considered a tripod?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tickman1961

Have you ever tried to hunt on the ground? Believe it or not, many deer are killed without a treestand.
I believe it but the place I'm hunting would have VERY limited visibility without any elevation.

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

Have you considered a tripod?
I'm not sure that there's enough time for the deer to get used to it this year, plus I don't trust that there won't be anyone else on this tract of land. The owner has had theft issues in the past.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't have a climber?

Every whitetailhunter needs a climbing treestand.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You don't have a climber?

Every whitetailhunter needs a climbing treestand.
I do have one. I lack suitable trees on this particular tract of land--where the deer sign is. There are some trees that would allow me to use a climber but they're far from where the deer are.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about a tree saddle. I have never used one but it might besomething that could helpyou out. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=092408derhunt-cat20011-cat20055_TGP&id=0046761418020a&navCount=4& amp;podId=0046761&parentId=cat20055&master pathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX& rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20055&amp ;hasJS=true
Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

can you use a lock on stand in the tree?if so it will be more comfortable and safer.

Quick Reply: How to Get Comfortable in a Pine Tree w/o a Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.