Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should shotguns have scopes?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should shotguns have scopes?

I have three slug guns, a 1187 and a Mossberg 500 both with scopes. My 870 I have rifle sights. I don't use any of the shotguns much anymore cause I'm using my muzzleloader. I have to have a scope on all my long guns due to some eye surgery I had years ago.....I got no choice.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they are legal in your area then it is a no-brainer.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Scopes increase your distance for a clean kill, open sights have their place as well, it depends on how and where you hunt. If you choose to go with a scope get a shotgun scope with a longer eye relief and a cantilever barrel mounted mount. Good Luck
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Spike

In my opinion the scope offers more precise aiming which means less wounded deer. Also as my eyes age I find it difficult to use open sights (to focus onfront/rear at the same time).
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM

I don't use a scope, but I stay within 50 yards. Just personal preference on how I like to hunt. I like 'em up close. If they are 100 yards, oh well, I don't need to kill a deer that badly. Open sights, close shooting is for me.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Depends on why your using a shotgun I guess. Many of us don't use them because we feel it's a challenge, we use them because we have to. Many states don't allow rifles so you either use a slug gun or muzzle loader. Both of which I personally will use a scope on because they both have usable ranges up to and beyond 100 yards. I normally go for low power scopes on a shotgun though, like 1.5-4 or something like that.

If you don't plan on taking shots farther than 50 yards or so or if you good with open sights out to 100 then there is nothing wrong with a nice quality open sight over a scope. Really depends on what your more comfortable with. I actually prefer a scope myself to be honest. I scope pellet guns for crying out loud.

Paul
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: drdi

I don't use a scope, but I stay within 50 yards. Just personal preference on how I like to hunt. I like 'em up close. If they are 100 yards, oh well, I don't need to kill a deer that badly. Open sights, close shooting is for me.
My thoughts exactly! The only thing i would add is, if they are 100 yards, I'll try to make it 50. If i can't make it 50, oh well, it was fun trying!If you want to scope your Shotgun, by all means, do so. There is nothing wrong with it.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM

I don't use one and never have. I've always used open sights from .22's to shot guns. My shots are all usually within 50 yards and I just can't see a benefit at that range. I do admit im pretty unfamilar with scopes, but im accurate with open sights so why change?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Boy is it nice to be able to dial in a shotgun like a rifle. Here in Pittsburgh, Pa a rifle is not allowed to be used, but the advances in rifled slugs barrels and sabot rounds have made it easy not to care.

500 Mossberg with rifled ported barrell shoots a heck of a nice group at 100 yrds and i shoot 300gr hornaday sst sabot rounds. Its a heck of a brush gun as well. Its no longer a spray and pray attitude with a shotgun. I have a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on it and have been very happy with it, and i dont miss the rifle all that much...

If you cant use a rifle a rifledslug gun is still a heck of a firearm to have available.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a personal preference. If I hunted with a shotgun, id put a scope on it. I just put a scope on my turkey gun.

Quick Reply: Should shotguns have scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.