Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should shotguns have scopes?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Default Should shotguns have scopes?

Since I started huntingI never believed in putting a scope on a shotgun. I always thought that putting a scope on a shotgun completely defeats the purpose of using a shotgun over a rifle. However, my dad recently bought an 870 express magnum and put a scope on it....and i got to admit,I love it. I want to know how you feel. Do you like having a scope on a shotgun or dont you believe in it????
Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should shotguns have scopes?

No scopes - we need more wounded deer.

Steve
Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 870 with a fully rifled slug barrel and a scope (on a see thru mount)

To be hinest it is more like a rifle than a shotgun. 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Buckshot isn't legal in Ohio so its slug only.

Nothing wrong with a scope on a shotgun. All depends on how your gonna use it.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with scopes... and infact it makes my life a bit simpler as the shotguns in my house is shared among me and 2 of the kids.. open sites have to be sited in for each where as a scope is good to go for us all.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Shotguns with slugs have some inherent accuracy limitations. That being the case I think its smart to use the most precise aiming system you can, and for 99 percent of people that's a scope.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly I find it bizarre to see a scope on a shotgun. Never happens here that I know of.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM

To be honest... it didn't seem right to me at first either. I went ahead and put a fully riffled barrel and scope on my Mossberg 835. Lucked out and found a local die hard "Slug Gun" guy at work and he directed me on what kind of ammo to get. To make a long story short I can hold a 2" group at 100 yards with my setupusing Hornady SST slugs. At $2.80 a trigger pull it better be right on the money...lol

There are slugs out there that can make a clean kill at 150and possibly up to200 yardswith a proper set up on a shotgun. So yea, I have no issue with scopes on a shotgun at all now.

I know I for one am not going to even attempt a 150 yard shot with open sights....

Old 10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Quick, clean kills are what you should be aiming for...

Scopes are most certainly an added improvement to most shotgunners shooting slugs/sabots over 50 yards+.

"No scopes - we need more wounded deer."
Steve

What he said.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 AM

I have a Trijicon 1.25-4 scope on my rifled Beretta ES100. I use it as a red dot (x1.25) at close range and switch to x4 when I am anticipating shots up to 150 yards. Trijicon Accupoint scope allows you to aim with both eyes open and I do not have limited field of view at close range.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go to both sides of the fence. I use a scope on my 12 gauge H&R (of course there's no other option) and for the distances the gun can shoot a scope is the way to go. However I have an old Higgins 12 gauge pump that has a bit of ashortened barrel and rifled sights brazed on that I use in heavy woods where I expect shots to be within say 50 yards. I don't like a scope for that close in woods due to it is easier to aquire a target with open sights.

Quick Reply: Should shotguns have scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.