Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any old school deerhunters?

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any old school deerhunters?

!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duramax05

I hunt both ways. It depends where I am hunting. At hunting camp we wear plaid wool and use lever guns and pump rifles. Some use scopes and some use open sights. Until the leaves drop you cant shoot very far (40 yards). Our camp is 20x24 with a cook stove, propane lights and a wood stove. We over look an adirondack pond and love every minuit of it. We will be headed there in a week and a half for a nine day hunt. I cant wait.

Man, can I relate to THAT!! I leave tues. Morn, 1:00am for an 11 day hunt in the Adirondack St. Regis Primitive Wilderness Canoe Carry. No motor vehicles, no electric/battery engines; My Nirvana! Went in a week ago to set up camp. I believe I am hitting it this year at a PERFECT time this year, provided my rut theories once again hold true. Saw plenty of sign when I set up camp, plus snow in the forcast. I am going NUTS with anticipation!

I too old school it. Canvas wall tent-8x16-, mail box wood burning stove, etc. Compass and map{ no gps}. Wool, wool, and more wool. Green/black check, red/ black check, single shot .270 NE Arms.

I'll give you all a shout when I get back. CROKIT
Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Still like using the percussion cap muzzleloader while sitting on the ground........being out there is what it is all about, the kill is secondary to the pursuit....
Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tickman1961

being out there is what it is all about, the kill is secondary to the pursuit....

Amen to that!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

Good thread. Im so tired of trail cameras, deer cane, deer corn, short mags, ultra mags, light mags, game feeders, deer pee, bullet drop compensating scopes, sling sticks, cough silencers, real tree,JackieBushman, Team Primos, grunt calls, rattle bags, blah, blah, blah......

The nuts on here that post the pictures from their game cameras and say "what'll he score" drive me crazy. Whats worse are the knuckleheads that answer 160, 180........Give me a break.

The great thing about some of the so called old ways, is they are as effective as the "new" ways. What lacking is skill and more importantly, respect.
Amen, Brother! Most of the people the above describes will tell you with a straight face that they only hunt"mature/trophy" Bucks for the challenge and then use every available technological advantage at their disposal. Don't get me wrong, more power to them, i just seriously doubt the challenge aspect of their claims. I consider myself old school because my preferred method of hunting is from the ground, both sitting and still hunting and this goes for both firearm and bow. I almost never hunt from a stand and do not own any scent control clothing. I agree 100% with the post that "being out there is what it is all about, the kill is secondary to the pursuit....". The wind in my face and my old 870 Wingmaster with "foster style" slugs is all i need to enjoy a day in the Deer woods. If i manage to sneak up on a deer or have one get close enough while I'm on the ground to take it, that's just icing on the cake.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Well with deer hunting no, but on the moose hunt, we hunt out of a small camp, that we have a tarp on the roof, box stove and bunk beds out of 2x4.

We do have a generator now for lights, use to be lantern, all cooking is over a 3 burner coleman stove.

Its pretty remote, and not really many amenities. I love it that way, and it makes the Hunt.

I want to build a deer camp, and start hunting that way up at our Lot, instead of driving 30 min back to my Parents house. Just doesn't feel as much like hunting
Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

The last deer i killed, i was sitting in a stand made out of scrap lumber and wearing work clothes, and didn't have on any kind of scent or lure. I drug it out and loaded it in a pick-up without using a 4-wheeler, and then butchered it myself. I did have a shotgun with a slug barrel and a scope, so those were my concessions in terms of using toys.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

This is not me, but a picture of my dadwearing what he will go into the deer woods in. We tend to go really old school. I used to do it when I was younger, but he does historical reenacting and likes to wear his clothing into the deer woods. Come muzzleloader season we both take our traditional flintlock's with us. A good ol' patch and ball will put deer down pretty good. It can be a challenge if the weather is not cooperating. Trying to keep the pan dry is a constant battle, but it is a fun way to hunt. This is old school to the extreme if you ask me.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nralover

Raise your hands fellas if you are old school. Anyone hunt with a levergun? Better yet, an iron sighted levergun? Anyone hunt in an old flannel instead of a 300.00 camo suit? Anyone cook outdoors at camp on a Coleman stove, or even better an open fire?

This is not a knock on ANYONES style of hunting- just an innocent inquiry
Been there and done that for years!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

This year I'll be using a newly aquired Marlin 30-30 instead of my 270 or 308. The first deer Igot many yewars ago was with a Marlin 35 rem.I like to still hunt/stalk deer, and we also do small, slow silent drives (a combination of still hunting and drives).

And my gear isn't expensive, but it is comfortable and effective in cold weather. Last buck season, the lowest temp that we hunted in was 11 degrees. I've worn the same down vest for the last 30 or so years. Sometimes I even wear my Hollofill quilted long johns when it's really cold. They still do the job. I won't wear cotton shirts or long johns like we did many years ago. Cotton isn't effective, and it holds moisture.