Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any old school deerhunters?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any old school deerhunters?

All of the above when I was still gun hunting!!!! 30-30 model 99 lever action iron sights, camp fire slash stove/ 5 gallon bucket over a hole in the ground for sh&ter!!!!Did that for years in the early years..Walt
Old 10-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old school here although It's not gun hunting. I hunt exclusively with a 14 year old recurve. My camo Is nothing to fancy either being It's all of 15 years old but It's very quite stuff. When I go bear hunting everything Is cooked over an open fire, there's no better way IMO! We tent It out In the middle of no where, motels aren't for me, this Is hunting, the way I see It fit for me.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I like where your head's at schultzy! Thats what I'm talking about. Nothing better than sitting by a fire, cooking your own stuff and being out in the wild.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

By old school do you mean successful without the overpriced crap ? Count me in. If old school means I don't look like a posterboy for Cabelas...count me in. If old school means I hunt with ammo I make, guns I setup and tactics handed down of generations...count me in on that too.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM

This year I am using my 444 Marlin lever action out ofa ground blind.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: skb2706

By old school do you mean successful without the overpriced crap ? Count me in. If old school means I don't look like a posterboy for Cabelas...count me in. If old school means I hunt with ammo I make, guns I setup and tactics handed down of generations...count me in on that too.
LOL! Hey my brother in law (who carries a Browning BAR in .338 Win Mag) laughs hysterically at me because I carry a .30-30 and .32 Winchester Special in the woods. He callsthem "girl guns". Oddly enough he loses a deer almost every year because the recoil causes him to flinch and shoot it in the buttocks....
Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

Good thread. Im so tired of trail cameras, deer cane, deer corn, short mags, ultra mags, light mags, game feeders, deer pee, bullet drop compensating scopes, sling sticks, cough silencers, real tree,JackieBushman, Team Primos, grunt calls, rattle bags, blah, blah, blah......

The nuts on here that post the pictures from their game cameras and say "what'll he score" drive me crazy. Whats worse are the knuckleheads that answer 160, 180........Give me a break.

The great thing about some of the so called old ways, is they are as effective as the "new" ways. What lacking is skill and more importantly, respect.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 1950 marlin 35 rem that was made a year after I was born no scope open sights (that I can no longer see) But it is in like new condition It will be hunting with me this year.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:16 PM

I'm not quite as old school as some of you, but I do hunt witha scopedMarlin 336. I don't use a stand and I hunt public land usually knee deep in swamp and have seen more deer this way than ever did with a stand. Haven't killed anything, but I'm still working on the skills. I've also never killed a buck so I'm holding out for a set of antlers. Hopefully this will be my year.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got old school tendencies. Though I use a scoped bolt action, I chose a .30-06 in part because it's one of those "old reliables." Venerable cartridges that have done the job over and over appeal to me. I don't use scents or scentlock or wear camo. Instead, I wear a greyish plaid coat and black sweat pants pulled over a pair of blue jeans (a blaze orange vest and hatt, too FWIW).

I have thought of changing on the camoflage, especially the face. I think my face has tipped deer to my presence on a couple of occasions when deer got really close. A facemask and perhaps some blaze orange camo might be things I add.

Quick Reply: Any old school deerhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.