Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Busted by squirrels??

Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Busted by squirrels??

k, i was huntin yesterday and as i was sitting in my treestand i moved just a little bit barely making any noise at all and all the squirrels just started screamin, they did it non stop for like 15 mins even after i stopped moving, would this scare deer away??
Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Busted by squirrels??

That happened to me yesterday. It rained all day Friday so the woods were wet, making it easy for me and the deer to move silently. I walked in to some hardwoods and climbed a tree I had picked a few weeks earlier. It looks out over a clear cut that has a big lone oak in the middle. The sun came up about 7:30. At 7:45 a squirrel busted me. He started barking and screaming. He made quite a racket for twenty mintes. I checked my watch when he stopped at 8:05. I just settled in to watch for movement in the tall weeds and young pines all around the clear cut. At 8:20 I saw an antler near the lone oak. Adrenaline rush. The antler had 3 spikes. I figured hewas a six-point that had bedded down next to the oak to be near food. I zoomed my scope to about 7x and saw that he was down in a ditch near the oak. I gave a little doe bleat but he was more interested in his breakfast. He moved and gave me his shoulder, all I could see of him. When I shot he took off like a rocket down the hill toards a creek. I climbed down and walked to the lone oak. I saw a sizable splash of blood on a bush. I waited a bit then slowly followed the blood trail. He didn't make it to the tree line. He was a nine pointer and weighed about 170. A deer may not come around ifa squirrel is barking but it didn't scare this big fella off his breakfast.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

From my experience, when asquirrel sees me, they hardly ever make noise. They always just run off.One time one made their barking sound, but only did it like twice, and then he ran off.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

A squirrel barking is an alert to all animals that somethings not right. Opening day of hunting season a few years ago one started barking at me at daybreak, it just kept barking and barking and barking and I'm not sure if I invaded its nesting site or what but after about 45 minutes of this crap it started to close in on me, because of its curiosity got the worse of him and I couldn't stand it no more so I put the bead on him and 180 grain 30-06 exploded and the woods were once quiet again. After a few moments several deer came by.

Bobby
Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

A squirrel barking is an alert to all animals that somethings not right. Opening day of hunting season a few years ago one started barking at me at daybreak, it just kept barking and barking and barking and I'm not sure if I invaded its nesting site or what but after about 45 minutes of this crap it started to close in on me, because of its curiosity got the worse of him and I couldn't stand it no more so I put the bead on him and 180 grain 30-06 exploded and the woods were once quiet again. After a few moments several deer came by.

Bobby
thats awesome
Old 10-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

First of all cograds to RenaissanceBiker on the 9 pointer , Lucky you .
2nd , Squirrels can be very anoying .
Ive been caught moving a few times also had the little critters go right in my stand and both scare the crap out of me and himself .
All you here is him climbing higher and higher then , Bam theree he is at your window .
Sometimes no all times they do for some reason spot you climb to a tall tree nearby and bark or chirp continuously for what seams forever .
I usualy find a branch or something to throw at it .,
If you get close or connect they usualy take off .
But yes if they keep making noise it alerts other animals also deer that there is something wrong ..
Also another critter that can be your best freind or enemy is a Blue Jay .
I f I see one I make sure I,m very still they will also screatch for a while then it gets a group of Blue Jays making a bunch of noise and alerting everything in the woods .
I was watching a field edge one evening and herd a Blue Jay screatch I looked his way and all of the sudden a nice 7 pointer stepped out in the field ... So they can also be your friend ..
Remember listen and watch ...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

It goes both ways sometimes, squirrels bark at deer coming in just as often as they do at humans.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

It's my opinion that it would be the deer into alert. I suggest shooting the squirrel next time.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

My buddy andI have considered bringing a .22 rifle with us for just that. It would be a quieter way to remove the squirrel. It would also be safer. I prefer to shoot downward with my .270 because I don't want to shoot someone a mile away. I don't shoot at a deer near the horizon for the same reason. I would feel better about shooting a .22 upward at a squirrel.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

My experience with this is that squirrels will bark at just about anything. I have not seen a negative impact on deer. I have heard squirrels barking off to my side in my stand and see some deer show up after a while from that direction. I think they ignore it.

Quick Reply: Busted by squirrels??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.